Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 04-04-2024, 01:54 PM  
On Hiatus

Retirement Thread

After the positive responses and congratulations on my Retirement thread, the idea came to me that there should be a thread that helps everyone prepare for the eventuality of retirement.

There were many great ideas, comments and great suggestions that came out of the conversation. What I would like to do is put this here as a repository for information for anyone who is:
  • Ready to retire
  • Close to retirement
  • Beginning to plan for retirement

One of the things I came to find out is that no matter how much I had thought I was prepared for retirement, there were still things I had not pondered or prepared for.

So this thread is for all your questions, comments, advice to help others that are close to retirement.

I mean....this board is about a year and a half away from being around for a quarter of a century, and many of us who have been around are there already.

So, please feel free to contribute!
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 08:56 AM   #211
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm retired as of today. If you throw your ball into my yard, I'm keeping it.
Congratulations on the retirement Rain Man....

One suggestion on the soon to be large collection of footballs, baseballs, softballs and soccer balls that you will accumulate....

Play It Again Sports....you might find it to be a retirement benefit supplement.

Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 08:57 AM   #212
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmax63 View Post
Congrats and good luck. I think we met once when you threw a draft party 15 or 20 years ago. I retired early at my minimum SS age because it's set-up so that if you wait, you don't break even unless you live to your 80's. Depending on your lifestyle and genetics and our countries long-term economic outlook, I decided to get started getting the money I'd paid in sooner rather than later.
I’m pulling out all my 401K money out of the stock market. Going to just put it in FDIC CD’s. No gambling for me from now on. If the $ collapses, we and the whole world are ****ed.

CD’s I can always get to. We stagger them so if we have an emergency we can pull that money out without losing the interest money.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #213
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I’m pulling out all my 401K money out of the stock market. Going to just put it in FDIC CD’s. No gambling for me from now on. If the $ collapses, we and the whole world are ****ed.
People think you can't play it safe with your money once you retire....that all depends on how you wish to live in retirement.

If you want to be John and Janie Jetset then you will need a treasure trove of money....

If you want to just live a comfortable lifestyle and enjoy your years, conservative mindsets work very well.
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbonian View Post
People think you can't play it safe with your money once you retire....that all depends on how you wish to live in retirement.

If you want to be John and Janie Jetset then you will need a treasure trove of money....

If you want to just live a comfortable lifestyle and enjoy your years, conservative mindsets work very well.
yeah I retired earlier than planned so we didn’t have the nest egg we wanted to have but we have enough money for a comfortable retirement. .

I traveled around the world from 18-25 years old. Pretty much everywhere but Russia/China and South America. So I don’t feel the need to travel like that again.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #215
On Hiatus

Quote:
yeah I retired earlier than planned so we didn’t have the nest egg we wanted to have but we have enough money for a comfortable retirement. .

I traveled around the world from 18-25 years old. Pretty much everywhere but Russia/China and South America. So I don’t feel the need to travel like that again.
I was in Accounting for business and I still traveled so much while working that I have no desire to fly all over the world (much less the US) these days.

Florida is a great place to retire to...plenty of things within traveling distance to see in Georgia, Alabama, NC SC and if I am in the mood, TN.

One the occasion I want to hop on a plane it will only be to see my daughter and son in law.
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbonian View Post
I was in Accounting for business and I still traveled so much while working that I have no desire to fly all over the world (much less the US) these days.

Florida is a great place to retire to...plenty of things within traveling distance to see in Georgia, Alabama, NC SC and if I am in the mood, TN.

One the occasion I want to hop on a plane it will only be to see my daughter and son in law.
People come from all over the world just to spend a few days here in our hometowns. I live here. Thats pretty cool.

I have 30 palm trees in my yard. Huge swimming pool and inground jacuzzi. 10K boat dock(but, currently have no boat). Even though I don't have a million in cash I'm supposed to have at retirement, I already live in a vacation spot. Absolutely no desire to go off globe trotting. I'll probably travel in the USA. I think I'd like to take one of those scenic trains through the Rockies or maybe one of those Canadian rail trips.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #217
On Hiatus

Quote:
People come from all over the world just to spend a few days here in our hometowns. I live here. Thats pretty cool.

I have 30 palm trees in my yard. Huge swimming pool and inground jacuzzi. 10K boat dock(but, currently have no boat). Even though I don't have a million in cash I'm supposed to have at retirement, I already live in a vacation spot. Absolutely no desire to go off globe trotting. I'll probably travel in the USA. I think I'd like to take one of those scenic trains through the Rockies or maybe one of those Canadian rail trips.
You are right....one of the things I would probably get on a plane to travel to is to take a train trip thru the Rockies....or the Canadian version.

Plus....I do have the desire to take 2 weeks to spend in Washington DC to do all of the Smithsonian's.

So I amend my thoughts to this....I live in a beautiful state. I have friends and family who come visit me because I live close enough to the beach that it is an attraction that brings them here. There are a few places I will go as a retirement travel desire, but for the most part....I am home.
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #218
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm retired as of today. If you throw your ball into my yard, I'm keeping it.
Congrats Rainman. I'm sure your wife set up a threesome for your retirement gift, right? I mean everyone on CP gets one of those when they retire.
Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pote View Post
Congrats Rainman. I'm sure your wife set up a threesome for your retirement gift, right? I mean everyone on CP gets one of those when they retire.
You got a copy of that memo? Asking for a friend.
Old Today, 12:56 PM   #220
On Hiatus

Quote:
You got a copy of that memo? Asking for a friend.
Yeah I'm not the friend BRC is asking for....but I have a friend who would like the copy too.