Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 06-09-2019, 03:32 PM  
It was not a fair catch

School's out for Summer!-AMA-Update

I said I would.

But a few classroom rules.
1. The answer to the obligatory question. No
2. There are no stupid questions-just stupid people that ask questions.
3. Teacher has the right to suspend you.
4. Teacher can take regular quarter and holiday breaks.

Last edited by displacedinMN; 12-09-2019 at 06:11 PM..
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:48 PM   #241
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
What the holy ****?

My wife barely has anyone skip it.
The way ours works is we have two days with no "school" (kids stay home, but we work contracted hours). We submit "wish lists" for parents we NEED to sit down with. Letters go home and parents are supposed to call in and schedule a time slot during those 2 days. We offer morning/afternoon one day and afternoon/evening the other. This is Monday/Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

I typically have a wish list of about 20 kids whose parents I haven't already gotten on an e-mail basis with. I will probably see 5 or 6 of those and then a couple of others who want to see me.

Then on the day I'll look at the schedule and sit in on a meeting of a kid I have but who's doing alright for me. So altogether it's around 10.

A couple of years ago I had 5 total meetings. This year I think I was around 8 or 9.

The kids who you need a conference for usually have parents who don't care enough to come in. And that's usually the reason why they are suffering academically (and in other ways unfortunately).
DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:22 PM   #242
It was not a fair catch

If all you do is work over a break, did you really get a break?
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:37 PM   #243
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
If all you do is work over a break, did you really get a break?
Did the work include managing discipline?
DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:43 PM   #244
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJay23 View Post
Did the work include managing discipline?
yes and no

I gave kids behavior scores on the computer. Quarter ended.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:45 PM   #245
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
yes and no

I gave kids behavior scores on the computer. Quarter ended.
Ahh,

I always say, if we have an inservice or if I'm staying after school to do work, it's completely tolerable to trying to manage pubescence.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:59 PM   #246
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJay23 View Post
Ahh,

I always say, if we have an inservice or if I'm staying after school to do work, it's completely tolerable to trying to manage pubescence.
teacher detention
Old 04-18-2024, 06:24 PM   #247
It was not a fair catch

School is not out yet, but this is a good link.

https://www.boredteachers.com/post/w...e-of-a-teacher
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #248
It was not a fair catch

From the hot teacher thread-part of the conversation needed to be moved to focus on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
Absolutely.

And the biggest thing with private schools, of any flavor or belief, is expectations. We were constantly told that we would win, or get better grades, or have success was that we worked harder and did more.

The lower achieving kids don't need standards lower - they need them raised - and as they start to meet some of them they gain confidence. Perhaps you don't make the seals but you don't want to be the first to ring that bell and tap out. You just want to do better and that sticks with you.
true. The bar is set way low. and some still refuse to strive.

The default action in todays world is to play games. AS SOON as my kids are done with work, the games come on. They all have their own computer.
Even in my private school, If I came in and did nothing, they would not care. There has been a negative shift the last few years.

Especially boys. 8th grade boys used to mature throughout the year, now it seems like they are regressing.

My biggest issue this year is the kids failure to remember the routine things.
Where to hand in paper work
How to submit electronic work
How to act in a class
How to come in and begin class
When to ask and not ask about the bathroom
Listening to directions
etc

All short term brain skills But holy **** it has been bad this year.
I will tell you once, now it is your responsibility to remember.
It is may, and some have still not learned or cared to learn about procedures.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM   #249
Supporter

Kids are out. Wife has to work until Friday.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #250
It was not a fair catch

ALL quotes from the other thread

Maybe our resident teachers will comment, but covid changed everything here.

Kids, that want to, have had near constant contact with their teachers through their school apps and iPads here ever since. If a kid messages a teacher while doing homework many of them expect a response, and get it, within the hour. For many, remote learning simply broke a barrier that is very difficult to put back up unless teachers or the school board put up a strict no contact outside of hours policy.

Our local school board is having discussions about this now in preparation for dialing it back another notch for next year. On top of the obvious issues it can lead to, teachers shouldn't be expected to answer questions all evening and kids shouldn't be expecting them to either.

Just graduated the class of 2024 last night. This is the class that spent the spring of 2020 (and some of the fall) locked down at home. The valedictorian spoke briefly about students having to interact with each other and the teacher through "screens". The last four years have been a real challenge getting the academic standards back up but the social-emotional maturity suffered big time. It's getting better.

IMO, nope, nope, and nope on increasing potential for student/teacher relationships. Boundaries are blinking neon signs and have been for the last 20 years (especially if you're a dude). Hanky-Panky and Hot for Teacher going to happen without the effects of a pandemic.

We are required to use mediated communication with students ala Remind (text), Parents Square (email). Hey, there are some problems... I've seen coaches, stuco sponsors, extracurricular clubs, etc., and any group with activities use their own phone numbers to quickly communicate stuff like "practice is canceled" and " the bus picks up behind the activity center". This scares the sheet out of me enough to pine for the days without phones and instant messaging.

I am not going to send you texts or emails about when assignments are due. I already told the students when it was due, you miss, you fail. I would never communicate with a child without the parent's knowledge and inclusion, and those communications would be rare, if at all. AS far as group wide communications related to late buses and cancelled practices, that's on the school to have mechanisms to do that from an impersonal no-reply account.

I quit emailing parents or students after hours. It is just not worth it. If you do it once, they expect it always. Then you get more and more. Teachers in my building are finally getting admin to get tougher on expectations of late work, work turn in after sick or missing days, tardies etc.

They are going to have a parent expectations meeting next fall to outline new policies. We know parents are outright lying about being gone. We are a Catholic school. You rea paying good money to lie about being gone for a week and expecting the teacher to do more work so your kid can be gone.

There needs to be a major shift in education on so many levels.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #251
New and Improved

Last day here.
NOTICE: Starting tomorrow Grandpa Taxi Services will be working part time until the beginning of the 2024/2025 school year.
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #252
It was not a fair catch

10 days left
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #253
MY LITTLE #15

Kiddo has been out since last Friday. He starts third grade next year. He's going to summer school, and this is the last time we'll have to pay for after school care, as he should be good to walk home after school next year. This may be the last year that we have childcare costs. Yay!
luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #254
Suupraa Geniuuusss

What song did you play as you drove out of the parking lot?
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #255
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
What song did you play as you drove out of the parking lot?
I usually play Schools out for Summer...

This year it may be Never Enough by Five Finger Death Punch