Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 09:12 AM   Topic Starter
#triggering

Talking sports and the first 5 games

There's not a great deal of real 'sports talk' happening in various threads, just a bunch of nut kicking and trashing Knowmo, all justified. First off, there's no doubt in my mind that the Chiefs are winning the division and the other three teams are fighting for the right to finish 2-3 games behind them at best for the 2-4 slots in the division.

Just wanted to get that out of the way first. I started this to get a general consensus of whether or not there will be any pressure put on KC from within the division after the first month.

Chiefs
Ravens / Bengals / @ Falcons / @ Chargers / Saints
3 of 5 at home, but it's a tough 3 games with those offenses they face. Chargers and Saints should be easy wins. I think KC starts off 4-1 and while a 5-0 start would not be shocking, I just don't think they escape those first 3 games undefeated.

Raiders
@ Chargers / @ Ravens / Panthers / Browns / @ Broncos
3 of 5 on the road, and I see 3-2 after this start. If they lose to the Chargers in week 1, then they have more issues than anyone imagined. I think the Ravens are the only definite loss, but they're not going 4-1.

Broncos
@ Seahawks / Steelers / @ Buccaneers / @ Jets / Raiders
3 of 5 on the road and given their history and likely starting Nix in week 1, you cannot honestly say any of these is a gimme win, but I am confident they can win their 2 home games. I think they lose at Tampa and the Jets, but will surprise a few in week 1. I think they are 3-2 after this stretch, but 2-3 is not unreasonable to suggest.

Chargers
Raiders / @ Panthers / @ Steelers / Chiefs / BYE / @ Broncos
I think this team is the weakest of the bunch to start off the season considering what they lost. They should have an easy win vs CAR, but it's a road game. This team is the biggest unknown to me, but I think they go 2-3, possibly 1-4 during this stretch.

So, I'll stick with KC not going undefeated and take the worst case with the others for the purposes of this one...

Chiefs 4-1
Raiders 3-2
Broncos 2-3
Chargers 1-4

And, there was no rhyme/reason for just looking at the first 5 games other than to just look at the early part of the schedules in digestible chunks.

Early on, I think there will be some hope that it's competitive, but it won't last. So, what do your records look like after 5 games?

(and no, this is not the start of a series or going back to the 2011 version of the 'state of the AFCW'. It's a one-time thing)
Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #2
__

I think the Chiefs start kinda slow, a 6-4 start wouldn't surprise me before decimating the rest of their schedule.

Chiefs

The Ravens always start white hot (of course, so do we). And while I think the Ravens are merely a good team this year, not the great team of last year, I think they get the better of us like the Lions did last year. The Bengals game feels like a toss up to me, both teams are going to be ramping up, rather in their final form.

The Falcons game will be super fascinating to me -- that team looks and feels hungry this year. I still like our odds against them. The Chargers and Saints games will both be surprisingly close, I think, but we should win both. 3-2.

Raiders

The Raiders this year have a damn good defense, but that offense is just not going to make a ton of noise unless both of their young tight ends explode -- possible, but I wouldn't regard it as likely with Minshew/O'Connell. So any team with a good defense is going to have a leg up on this Raiders squad.

Chargers, Ravens, Browns all have good defenses. That Broncos game feels like an actual toss up to me, as I think they'll be occasionally spunkier than people give them credit for. The Panthers are so hapless, though. 2-3.

Broncos

This team is going nowhere this year. I am not an enormous fan of their defense, still. And I think Nix is going to be extremely limited this year. I think this is a very rough opening stretch because the Steelers, Bucs, Jets, and Raiders all have good defenses. The Seahawks feel like a wildcard to me. But this team, I feel, is going to be one of the league's worst. 0-5.

Chargers

The Chargers have a damn good team except for when it comes to offensive weaponry. And I actually like their talent on offense, but it's going to need a ton more massaging than it's needed in the past when you had a trio of fantastic receivers you could just roll out.

The Panthers and Broncos have little chance, but the Raiders may, given how talented that defense is. I still like the Chargers taking them on at home, first. The Steelers and Chiefs should have the upper hand, however. 3-2.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #3
Can these boys not play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
And while I think the Ravens are merely a good team this year, not the great team of last year,
Just interested... why do you think the Ravens will only be good, not great like last year?

Did I miss something in the offseason?
ChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChiefGator 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 02:53 PM   #4
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGator View Post
Just interested... why do you think the Ravens will only be good, not great like last year?

Did I miss something in the offseason?
They had to rebuild their OL, and I think that'll mess with Derrick Henry, who I think is going to lose juice by the end of the season. And as usual, they have one receiver.

I also think there's holes in the secondary there, which is true of 100% of the teams in the NFL. There is no ironclad secondary in the NFL, but that means they better put QBs on their butts because there's some opportunity waiting to be had against them.

I think they're going to be very good. Maybe 12 wins, but I think 10 or 11 is more likely unless Lamar goes nuclear all year.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #5
#triggering

Interesting… the Chargers at 3-2 would be quite surprising to me.
Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #6
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Am I missing something about the Falcons? Why do people think they'll be good this year?
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:57 AM   #7
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Am I missing something about the Falcons? Why do people think they'll be good this year?
They've made investments into the D, and I think Kirk Cousins is a dark horse MVP candidate for the first 6-8 weeks of the season before it all collapses on him down the stretch, as per usual.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #8
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
They've made investments into the D, and I think Kirk Cousins is a dark horse MVP candidate for the first 6-8 weeks of the season before it all collapses on him down the stretch, as per usual.
I realize that I don't watch a lot of Kirk Cousins games, but there's a reason for that. I think maybe they can win the division with him, but there's a wide gap between "win the NFC South" and "good football team".
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #9
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
I realize that I don't watch a lot of Kirk Cousins games, but there's a reason for that. I think maybe they can win the division with him, but there's a wide gap between "win the NFC South" and "good football team".

They are projected to have both a top-10 OL and DL. Bijan Robinson. They have three good WRs (supposed to be very talented, but inexperienced. And of course, Kirk Cousins, media darling. They added Judon and Simmons to their defense.

They'll obviously be better than last season. But we still don't know how spry Kirk is going to be recovering from that ACL. Plus, he's in a new offense, with all new pieces, and for the first time in his career, he doesn't have an all-world WR to lean on; he's going to have to develop and elevate his young receiving corps.

Pretty sure they'll vie for the Division title and should make the playoffs. Probably go one and done in postseason play, imho.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #10
The Seated Villain

Quote:
2 QB1s!
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #11
Forever Royal

Talking sports and the first 5 games

The Chiefs will be 5-0.
The Raiders 2-3.
Broncos 1-4. They beat the Raiders.
Chargers 3-2. But if they lose to the Raiders then the Raiders are 3-2 and Chargers 2-3.
mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #12
Has a particular set of skills

Yeah, the Chiefs always seem to be up to speed after training camp but don't turn on that full passion until they get a loss put on them.

I hope they come fired up on Opening day after blowing last years opener when they didnt bring their best game,

No matter how many games we lose, we will win the AFC west and get into the playoffs. Then betting on the Chiefs to lose in the playoffs is a bad bet.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #13
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Yeah, the Chiefs always seem to be up to speed after training camp but don't turn on that full passion until they get a loss put on them.

I hope they come fired up on Opening day after blowing last years opener when they didnt bring their best game,

No matter how many games we lose, we will win the AFC west and get into the playoffs. Then betting on the Chiefs to lose in the playoffs is a bad bet.
I actually think the Chiefs played very well against the Lions. They were missing Chris Jones but put nonstop pressure on Goff with a very good OL protecting him, and they probably win that game by a couple touchdowns if Toney doesn't single handedly give it away.
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #14
Starter

Chiefs 4-1
Raiders 2-3
Broncos 1-4
Chargers 3-2
myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.myselff77 is not part of the Right 53.
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #15
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

KC 4-1
LAR 3-2
DEN 1-4
LAC 1-4
TEX has disabled reputation