Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: What is the maximum concussion catastrophe risk you would take for $1.3 million?
1% 1 2.78%
5% 2 5.56%
10% 8 22.22%
25% 3 8.33%
50% 6 16.67%
75% 2 5.56%
90% 0 0%
95% 0 0%
99% 1 2.78%
100% - Bring it on. 7 19.44%
I don't believe in concussions. 5 13.89%
I don't believe in weighing risks versus rewards. 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM  
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Hypothetical: You, pro football, and concussions.

Imagine that you get drafted into the NFL. You complete the first year of your contract and get a concussion in your second year that causes you to miss half the season.

Your gross career earnings are about $1.3 million. Taking out the agent fees and taxes, your take-home is about $650,00 for those two years. Assume that you bought a nice condo for your mom and a sweet ride for yourself, so after that and living expenses you've got about $200,000 parked in conservative investments.

Now let's think about concussions. You've got your basic concussion stories about headaches and double vision, and you've got your more spectacular stories about Joe Phillips fleeing the law, Mike Webster living under a bridge, and that Steelers lineman blowing up in a big explosion after a police chase.

You have two more years on a contract that will pay an average of $650,000 a year.

What's the maximum risk you'll be willing to take to get that extra $650,000 a year, plus a potential future contract after that?

Assume that the risk in the poll is your odds of having a Mike Webster experience beginning at age 55.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
MVP

I'd forget about all that macho shit and learn how to play the guitar.

Dinny
Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Dinny Bossa Nova 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
The Insider

You really need to squeeze a 3rd year in. That way you qualify for the NFL retirement pension plan.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Banned

did you not fall down recently?
Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Squalor2 < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
You really need to squeeze a 3rd year in. That way you qualify for the NFL retirement pension plan.
How much does that pay?
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalor2 View Post
did you not fall down recently?
Pretty hard. I started speaking Greek for a while.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconeater View Post
How much does that pay?
Per the scenario, gross of $650,000, net take home approximately $350,000.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
Fish are scared of me

Why the figure 1.3 million ?
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer View Post
Why the figure 1.3 million ?
That's two years averaging $650,000 per year. You may assume no Weimar-Republic hyperinflation during that time.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
The Insider

Quote:
How much does that pay?
http://blog.futureadvisor.com/nfl-pl...on-retirement/
Quote:
The NFL is an organization that rewards the number of active seasons in both their pension and 401k plan. The pension, which players become eligible for at age 55, gives them $470/month for each season they played. A player with 4 seasons would get $1880/month starting at age 55, for the rest of their life. But most of them stop playing long before that, and inflation is eating away the value of those pension dollars with each passing year.
So essentially 1400 bucks per month at age 55.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #11
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Per the scenario, gross of $650,000, net take home approximately $350,000.
I meant the NFL pension. I need to know how much that will be to know if it's worth risking a 3rd year.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
That's two years averaging $650,000 per year. You may assume no Weimar-Republic hyperinflation during that time.
I see. Well, I risk a concussion on a daily basis for much less. Ever been under the dismount of an 800 pound boar ?
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
http://blog.futureadvisor.com/nfl-pl...on-retirement/

So essentially 1400 bucks per month at age 55.
Interesting, I had no idea that existed.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #14
You gotta kill a few people

I'm woefully uneducated on the dangers of CTE and I'm a relatively healthy young man..

So I'd probably stick it out for as long as I could.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #15
The Insider

Quote:
Interesting, I had no idea that existed.
Yep. You play that 3rd year and you will get about $16,000 a year from age 55 until you die.

Throw that in if you are smart with what you got as a player and invested wisely you could be doing alright.