Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 07:46 AM   Topic Starter
On Hiatus

Disassembling an old Desktop PC-questions

As part of my retirement fun, I am delving in to learning more about salvaging old computers/computer parts, to see if it is something I would like to do.
I am starting with one of my old desktops that I kept around for many years.... and old HP 6470 desktop.

But I have questions that I am sure many of the computer geeks can assist me with...so here goes:

1) It was pretty easy to disassemble save for one part....a storage drive that I swear must have been welded to the frame or front plastic casing. Any of you tech geeks know how that thing is installed?

2) I have read a couple of books, watched several vids on Youtube and I am still a bit confused about which parts of the PC could still have bits of data that I wouldn't want to get out there if I piece out the parts to computer guys who may buy them from me. It has a zip drive and an old CD player which I don't think would have any resident data on them...but what about things such as ribbon cords, RAM, etc that I have taken out? I know there is software supposedly that you can install that clears out the data, but this old PC wouldn't boot up anymore.

3) This also has 2 fan motors.....are those things useable anymore?

I realize asking these questions makes me the possible butt of many jokes...but would like some of you who might assist/educate me to weigh in if possible.

Thanks,
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #2
The Demon Preacher

1. need photos

2. the hard drive or any storage drives would be the only source of recoverable data

3. unlikely
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #3
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx View Post
1. need photos

2. the hard drive or any storage drives would be the only source of recoverable data

3. unlikely
Thanks.....so should I just trash the 2 fan motors?

Also....it sounds like the zip drive and CD player are probably not useful to anyone either?
Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.Mosbonian threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 11:02 AM   #4
The Demon Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbonian View Post
Thanks.....so should I just trash the 2 fan motors?

Also....it sounds like the zip drive and CD player are probably not useful to anyone either?
Correct... as pointed out by Fish, that whole rig may just go into the trash along with the fan motors. Can you double check the model number again because, as pointed out by Fish, that is only pulling up laptop specs.
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #5
Ain't no relax!

HP 6470 is a laptop model. Are you sure that's the correct model number? You mentioned it being a desktop.

Pics would help. I can't imagine an unremovable storage device.

Just know that with the incredible leap in computer tech over the last decade, anything older than that is basically junk at this point. Old parts don't hold value like they used to.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 04:35 PM   #6
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
HP 6470 is a laptop model. Are you sure that's the correct model number? You mentioned it being a desktop.

Pics would help. I can't imagine an unremovable storage device.

Just know that with the incredible leap in computer tech over the last decade, anything older than that is basically junk at this point. Old parts don't hold value like they used to.
6470z is definitely a desktop...I am not at home right now but will take a Pic when I get home.

Sounds like I should take this thing to the e-waste recycling center her in the county.
Old Today, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran

if you are worried about data being recovered, you can delete all of your files and then run the cypher program to write 1's, 0's and random data to the drive. Or, remove the drive and smash it with a hammer.

I will usually create a new admin account, delete the old account and then run the cypher program to wipe out the personal data.

I have several old Phenom II systems still running Win10; they work just fine however won't work with Win11 without a lot of jumping thru hoops to get it installed. Maybe I will install Linux on one and see what I think of that.

Most everything is not usable in a new system. Take it to a place like MRC recycling instead of just throwing it in the trash. If it's still usable, perhaps donate it.
crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.crayzkirk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.