Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 11-29-2019, 01:28 PM  
MVP

Mock 11/29/19

Something different to chew on...

Chiefs trade Sammy Watkins for 4th round pick.
Chiefs cuts:
SS D. Sorensen, OL C. Erving, RB D. Williams, P D. Colquitt, June-1 Designate LB A. Hitchens

Cap Space Pre-June-1 with Rollover approx $45.6 m. Post June-1 +$8.5 m

Chiefs FA signings:
QB R. Tannehill (TEN) 2 yrs 7.0 m w/ 1.5 signing bonus (sim to C. Henne) - approx 3.1 m yr 1
- Tannehill is a conservative, veteran, Reid-type backup that makes some sense. Nobody will love it, but it's hard to hate it. If you can get him to be a little less conservative, he's not that bad of a QB. Might have him too cheap but we'll see.
RB J. Howard (PHI) 2 yrs 5.5 m w/ 1.75 signing bonus (sim to D. Williams) - approx 2.4 m yr 1
- With the underperformance of Damien Williams, I think the Chiefs make a move. Howard knows a version of the offense and has been productive. At least his YPC is closer to 4.5 then 3.5, unlike Williams.
LB N. Kwiatkoski (CHI) 3 yrs 8.7 m w/ 2.6 signing bonus (sim to D. Wilson, C. Jones) - approx 2.1 m yr 1
- Every time Kwiatkoski steps on the field, he produces. Chiefs should give him a shot to be a starter, ala Damien Wilson.
LB J. Schobert (CLE) 5 yrs 85.0 m w/ 13.75 signing bonus (sim to C. Mosley) - approx 10.0 m yr 1
- Splash signing that requires some cap work in year 1 but would fortify the LB corps (pending Dorsey full-idiot mode w/ no franchise tag). Schobert is one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL and definitely one of the tops in terms of coverage. A guy always hits the market that you don't expect to. That said, the Rams' Cory Littleton would be a great consolation prize and he's much more likely to hit the market and probably will be a little cheaper, estimating at 11-12 per.
CB J. Mills (PHI) 3 yrs 16.0 m w/ 1.5 signing bonus (sim to N. Robey-Coleman) - approx 4.0 m yr 1
- Off and on injured but productive when on the field. He's not a track star, but he plays his man well and tackles really well. I think he's a guy you can get on a relatively friendly, short-term deal.
SS D. Thompson (DAL) 2 yr 4.0 m w/ 1.0 signing bonus (sim to M. Thomas) - approx 1.5 m yr 1
- Assignment sound when he gets his shots on the field. Comes up to support the run especially well.

Chiefs FA re-signings:
DT C. Jones 4 yrs 70.0 m w/ 22.0 m signing bonus (sim to G. Jarrett) - approx 13.0 m yr 1
- Chiefs go all-in here in the offseason, retaining one of the league's better interior pass rushers and he flexes well as a big end.
WR D. Robinson 2 yrs 7.0 m w/ 1.5 m signing bonus (sim to A. Hurns) - approx 3.1 m yr 1
- Robinson is effective here but probably shouldn't get a long-term deal. That said he'd ease the transition from Watkins' departure.
WR M. Kemp 1 yr ERFA tender 660k
- Probably camp fodder when all is said and done but cheap re-sign.
LG A. Wylie 1 yr ERFA tender 660k
- Worth keeping around as a reserve G/T.
TE D. Yelder 1 yr ERFA tender 660k
- Hasn't shown much but he's cheap and he's young.
QB P. Mahomes exercise 5th year option at league year then 4 yr $152 m extension (post June 1) w/ $67 m guaranteed
- Chiefs take care of Mahomes in the offseason and reach an agreement to re-sign him long-term after June 1 with the savings from letting Hitchens go.

Chiefs will likely make plenty of other transactions that have no real top-51 cap effect to sign guys to 1 year, vet minimum deals with less than 3 accrued seasons.

Cap pre-June 1 approx 3.8 m less draft class (approx 3.2 m) is 0.6 m
Post June-1 approx 8.7 less Mahomes extension effect (approx 3.5 m) is 5.2 m

Draft:

1. DE Jonathan Greenard, Florida (6'3" 265)
- Good overall pass rusher with decent enough size to play 4-3 end. I think going this route is more than probable, especially if the Chiefs address CB or LB in FA. Okafor isn't the answer as the regular starting end and Ogbah played himself into a contract the Chiefs may not be able to afford. The lack of pass rush is a problem at times for KC defensively.
2. OC Jake Hansen, Oregon (6'5" 302)
- Martinas Rankin played well at LG so that spot may be a bit more solidified, but Reid is going to spend an early pick on the interior and I think it will come at the pivot. Hansen does everything pretty well, but he's a better pass blocker than run blocker and he moves well.
3. CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State (6'1" 190)
- Green is a smooth corner with a good transition and good catch-up acceleration, which allows him to stick to his man. Comes up well in run support. Some think he could go higher than I have him but we shall see where it shakes out with end-of-season slotting.
4. WR Kalija Lipscomb, Vanderbilt (6'1" 200)
- Solid receiver with a terrible QB. Gets open, has a good top-end, and has tremendous hands. Needs to eliminate stutter-step at the beginning of routes to help him get more immediate separation.
4. CB Michael Ojemudia, Iowa (6'1" 200)
- Ojemudia has played quite well for Iowa at times but is a bit inconsistent. Has a tough scholastic workload as a mechanical engineering major. Vocal leader that seems to get better. Plays the ball fairly well and has good closing speed but will need to learn to play true man and press-man a bit better after playing alot of off-man and trailing receivers in college. Needs to get more physical in the run game.
5. TE Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic (6'5" 240)
Light TE but has good effort in the run game and pass game. Solid route runner that gets open and has the speed to make plays down the seam. A guy that might take a year or two, but could turn into a steal.

QB: Mahomes, Tannehill, Shurmur
RB: Howard, Williams, Thompson
FB: Lovett
WR: Hill, Hardman, Robinson, Pringle, Lipscomb, Kemp
TE: Kelce, Bryant, Yelder
OL: Fisher, Rankins, Hansen, Duvernay-Tardif, Schwartz, Reiter, Wylie, Allegretti, Barton
DE: Clark, Greenard, Okafor, Kpassagnon, Harris
DT: Jones, Nnadi, Saunders, Speaks
LB: Wilson, Schobert, Kwiatkoski, Niemann, O'Daniel
CB: Mills, Ward, Fenton, Green, Ojemudia
S: Mathieu, Thornhill, Thompson, Watts
ST: Butker, Some UDFA Punter, Winchester
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #16
MVP

I swear to the old gods and the new that I would be entirely content lining up with the exact same guys on the defensive side of the ball, the exact same offensive players minus Watkins as long as we turn the offensive line from a weakness to a strength.

I don't care what you say, if we did THAT this would be a 14-2 team and a Super Bowl winner.

The biggest problem on this entire team is that interior offensive line. It's ****ing up the passing game and ****ing up the running game. So it's ****ing up the offense. That's putting a lot of stress on what I think is clearly an improving defense.

Yeah, our LB'ers can't cover. Yes we could use some corners.

**** it, re-sign Breeland and Claiborne. Just bring 'em all back, draft a small school corner somewhere in the middle of the draft.

Draft FATTIES. SIGN GOOD FATTIES. FIX IT. GET GUYS THAT CAN ****ING BLOCK.

You'll be surprised what the RB position looks like if they aren't dodging linemen while taking the hand-off.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I swear to the old gods and the new that I would be entirely content lining up with the exact same guys on the defensive side of the ball, the exact same offensive players minus Watkins as long as we turn the offensive line from a weakness to a strength.

I don't care what you say, if we did THAT this would be a 14-2 team and a Super Bowl winner.

The biggest problem on this entire team is that interior offensive line. It's ****ing up the passing game and ****ing up the running game. So it's ****ing up the offense. That's putting a lot of stress on what I think is clearly an improving defense.

Yeah, our LB'ers can't cover. Yes we could use some corners.

**** it, re-sign Breeland and Claiborne. Just bring 'em all back, draft a small school corner somewhere in the middle of the draft.

Draft FATTIES. SIGN GOOD FATTIES. FIX IT. GET GUYS THAT CAN ****ING BLOCK.

You'll be surprised what the RB position looks like if they aren't dodging linemen while taking the hand-off.
I agree with the sentiment, but can you trust rookies to step in and actually perform above what our line is currently achieving? Most of the 2019 rookies I can think of are playing badly (I'm mainly thinking of the two in Atlanta and Dillard for the Eagles). I can't get behind taking a 1st round pick who will need a year of seasoning to really improve the team if there is an impact player available.

Like I said we definitely need probably two fatties, or one and Wiz back as a starter, I just don't know if the draft is the answer as opposed to FA.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargem View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but can you trust rookies to step in and actually perform above what our line is currently achieving? Most of the 2019 rookies I can think of are playing badly (I'm mainly thinking of the two in Atlanta and Dillard for the Eagles). I can't get behind taking a 1st round pick who will need a year of seasoning to really improve the team if there is an impact player available.

Like I said we definitely need probably two fatties, or one and Wiz back as a starter, I just don't know if the draft is the answer as opposed to FA.
From what I read, Tyler Biadasz is a slam dunk. For example.

I don't expect to start 3 rookies at IOL. But we need a slam dunk guy in there and a couple of quality vets.

it's not an accident that Carlos Hyde looks mediocre here and is a 1000 yard back in Houston.

Sure, we could use a home run threat at RB, but the reason we can't run the ball effectively is the IOL.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:13 AM   #19
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
From what I read, Tyler Biadasz is a slam dunk. For example.

I don't expect to start 3 rookies at IOL. But we need a slam dunk guy in there and a couple of quality vets.

it's not an accident that Carlos Hyde looks mediocre here and is a 1000 yard back in Houston.

Sure, we could use a home run threat at RB, but the reason we can't run the ball effectively is the IOL.
Wasn't Bradbury a slam dunk in 2019 as well though, and he had a very rough start to the season and is probably only marginally better than Reiter now?

Short of those ridiculous talents that go top half of the first, finding rookie OL seems like it's been a tough task. I'm wondering if a vet to start and a 3rd or 4th round guy to sit and develop is the better option
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 12-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargem View Post
Wasn't Bradbury a slam dunk in 2019 as well though, and he had a very rough start to the season and is probably only marginally better than Reiter now?

Short of those ridiculous talents that go top half of the first, finding rookie OL seems like it's been a tough task. I'm wondering if a vet to start and a 3rd or 4th round guy to sit and develop is the better option
Nelson and Hernandez are pretty good.

Even a great center or guard prospect generally go later in the first.

Or second.

I think we can agree it's time to look at it early in the draft and that we need to better allocate resources at those spots anyway.