Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2018, 09:41 AM  
Buddy Christ is a Chiefs fan

Ball Joints and Upper Control Arm 2004 Ford F150

I had my truck in the shop a few weeks ago for some unrelated stuff and they told me the lower ball joints were bad on my truck. I suspected something to that effect as I was getting the jumping around in the wheel and driving when I hit a pot hole or bump.

They didn't mention the upper ball joint on the control arm but since I have the entire thing tore apart anyway would you just go ahead and replace it? I have to replace the entire control arm if I do. It doesn't look horrible that I can tell but I ain't the best at diagnosing shit. If I watch some videos though I am great at tearing shit apart and putting back together. I just don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

What say you?
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #46
MVP

Your talking Newtonian Physics now.
Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUTO View Post
the struts have to be removed to pull the upper control arm bolts.

you just unplug the other end of the sensor from inside the fender well and leave the sensor itself in the hub bearing...

i put an actuator on one of those last thursday in less than 15 minutes
Yeah, I knew I would have to do that but with everything else tore apart that would have been fairly easy to do.
BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BigRichard has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #48
Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichard View Post
Yeah, I knew I would have to do that but with everything else tore apart that would have been fairly easy to do.
as long as the lower bolts arent frozen up
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #49
MVP

You might want to replace the Fetzer valve while you're at it.
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #50

Quote:
as long as the lower bolts arent frozen up
I had them off before when I replaced all that and put a leveling kit on it. But that was about 3 years and 30,000 miles ago.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #51
MVP

Quote:
I would think the vibration and movement would be felt worse by the upper ball joint that's right in line with the lower... and why wouldn't you replace the inner tire rods then? They would be getting the same treatment travelling from the outers.
I was thinking more along the lines of stress relative to the joint. More stress at the lower ball joint and outer tie rod end than at the upper ball joint and inner tie rod end, in addition to the vibration (more pressure + equivalent vibration = more wear?). Maybe this isn't true, but it would seem that way based on location and supports. From a physics point of view, I'm making sense in my own head. That, and there's probably ample reason engineers tend to favor upper ball joints integrated into the control arms rather than making them replaceable like the lowers. Same said about the inner tie rods being a major bitch to change compared to the outers. Either way, you see it daily and I don't (thankfully, backbreaking work you do) and I respect and appreciate your opinion on it.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of stress relative to the joint. More stress at the lower ball joint and outer tie rod end than at the upper ball joint and inner tie rod end, in addition to the vibration (more pressure + equivalent vibration = more wear?). Maybe this isn't true, but it would seem that way based on location and supports. From a physics point of view, I'm making sense in my own head. That, and there's probably ample reason engineers tend to favor upper ball joints integrated into the control arms rather than making them replaceable like the lowers. Same said about the inner tie rods being a major bitch to change compared to the outers. Either way, you see it daily and I don't (thankfully, backbreaking work you do) and I respect and appreciate your opinion on it.
You have been identified and even though I may be banned, I am posting your picture.

cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #53
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
You have been identified and even though I may be banned, I am posting your picture.

Says one of the dumbest mother****ers on CP.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.