Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2024, 07:04 PM  
Starter

RIP Willie Mays

SHOWTIME has disabled reputation
Old 06-19-2024, 01:24 PM   #31
Veteran

I looked it up. Willie Mays was a 6.3 WAR player in 1971 at age 40 with and OPS of .902. Only 18 home runs but 118 walks and an On Base Percentage of .425. Oh, and went 23 and 3 for stolen bases.

At age 41, Mays had an .802 OPS as a part-time player in SF and NYM.

He was washed in 1973 at age 42.
JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:46 PM   #32
Certified Bourbon taster

Hat tip.
BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigOlChiefsfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:17 PM   #33
Champion Golfer Of The Year

Although I never got to see him play in person, I followed the Giants pretty closely in the box scores of the local paper and of course, The Sporting News. Definitely one of the top 2 players of all time and I’m sad that his time on this earth has come to an end.

Those early 70’s giants teams had some real power. McCovey, Mays and Bonds. Dave Kingman and George Foster too. Before he was traded to the Reds. They lost a NLCS to the Pirates in 1970. Who then went on to beat a great orioles team in the WS.

But my lasting memory of him is from his time with the Mets. 1973 WS. Game 2. Mets blow a 2 run lead in the 9th and for the second time that day, Mays lost his footing in the shit outfield of the (Howard Cosell voice) Oakland (long pause)-Alameda County Coliseum. This helped the A’s make up a 2 run, 2 out deficit in the bottom of the 9th.

In the 10th, Bud Harrelson was at 3rd. Felix Milan (dude choked up on the bat like a kid from little league) hits a fly to LF. Joe Rudi makes the catch and fires to the plate. The throw is on line and Harrelson avoids the tag and APPEARS to be safe.

BUT WAIT!

The umpire - who was laying on the ground, presumably to get a better look, calls Harrelson out. From the on deck circle, Mays is right there as the play goes down and he’s on his knees pleading with the home plate umpire.

Mays eventually singled and scored in the 12 and the Mets won the game. They ended up losing game 7 to the A’s but it was a helluva series.
WilliamTheIrish has disabled reputation
Old 06-19-2024, 03:32 PM   #34
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
Coogs You guys got hosed then. I grew up in Omaha. If there were WS games in the afternoon teachers would wheel in the big old TV's on a rolling cart and we would get to watch the games in class. Didn't hurt much either that St. Louis was often playing with Bob Gibson pitching since he was from Omaha.
We did get the teacher to turn it on the radio one year. And I tried playing sick once, but my mom figured it out mid-morning and took me to school. I asked her too early if I could watch the in the afternoon. 😂
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:52 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish View Post
Although I never got to see him play in person, I followed the Giants pretty closely in the box scores of the local paper and of course, The Sporting News. Definitely one of the top 2 players of all time and I’m sad that his time on this earth has come to an end.

Those early 70’s giants teams had some real power. McCovey, Mays and Bonds. Dave Kingman and George Foster too. Before he was traded to the Reds. They lost a NLCS to the Pirates in 1970. Who then went on to beat a great orioles team in the WS.

But my lasting memory of him is from his time with the Mets. 1973 WS. Game 2. Mets blow a 2 run lead in the 9th and for the second time that day, Mays lost his footing in the shit outfield of the (Howard Cosell voice) Oakland (long pause)-Alameda County Coliseum. This helped the A’s make up a 2 run, 2 out deficit in the bottom of the 9th.

In the 10th, Bud Harrelson was at 3rd. Felix Milan (dude choked up on the bat like a kid from little league) hits a fly to LF. Joe Rudi makes the catch and fires to the plate. The throw is on line and Harrelson avoids the tag and APPEARS to be safe.

BUT WAIT!

The umpire - who was laying on the ground, presumably to get a better look, calls Harrelson out. From the on deck circle, Mays is right there as the play goes down and he’s on his knees pleading with the home plate umpire.

Mays eventually singled and scored in the 12 and the Mets won the game. They ended up losing game 7 to the A’s but it was a helluva series.
The Pirates won the WS in 1971, not 1970.
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:18 PM   #36
Starter

RIP to one of the best mlb players
Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Brody Wa must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:23 PM   #37
error 404

I saw him play when Kansas City hosted the All Star Game in 1973.

F*** I'm old.
sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:24 PM   #38
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Barry Bonds was the greatest player of all time.
Fyp
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:26 PM   #39
Consuming CP souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
I know the Babe is often argued to be the best player of all time, but I think it was Willie Mays. Could do absolutely everything on offense and defense. RIP.
Kurkjan basically did this on pti today to give the corporate appreciation of today
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:32 PM   #40
I don’t care for Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
Willie Mays final All-Star game in 1973 at Royals Stadium
Two of Alabama’s finest.
RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.RollChiefsRoll threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:20 AM   #41
Veteran

Mays went hitless in his first 24 plate appearances.

The next game Mays homered off Warren Spahn and the rest is history.

Spahn later said, "I'll never forgive myself. We might have gotten rid of Willie forever if I'd only struck him out."
Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:23 PM   #42
Replaced by a future HOFer !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm View Post
Man, and he just had a release yesterday saying that he wouldn't be able to attend the upcoming Negro League appreciation game. "Don't move as well as I used to..."

Absolute legend. Guys from the era are getting fewer and fewer with every passing year. What a life and career. One of the true immortals of the game.

RIP
First legit 5 tool player in the Majors and then came Mantle. Some would say DiMaggio but I don't think he had the speed Mays and Mantle had.
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:40 PM   #43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
First legit 5 tool player in the Majors and then came Mantle. Some would say DiMaggio but I don't think he had the speed Mays and Mantle had.
Babe Ruth was a five-tool player.
Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Ocotillo Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:38 PM   #44
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
I'm old enough to remember watching Willie in the late 60's early 70's. Even at the end of his career he was still damn good. Say Hey to Hank Willie RIP.
Yep me too.

Great baseball player but even a greater man RIP Willie.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.