Thread: Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 01:40 PM   #5110
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
My usual ccw is a S&W M&P Shield. After trying several different holsters, I use a N8Tactical tuckable holster with it most days, for comfortability.

Have you shot a lot of smaller pieces? Because the smaller the gun gets the harder it is to work with. Just something to keep in mind.

There are several handguns that are smaller than the Shield to choose from, but I would strongly advise that you spend some time/$$$ shooting them. As much as possible before buying.

I had an LCP for a few years, but after more than a hundred range sessions I still had trouble with consistency/accuracy. i could shoot it accurately but gave up a lot of speed. Or, I could shoot it quickly and gave up a lot of accuracy.

I had the same issues with a S&W snubnose, and a couple other subcompacts like the Beretta Pico.

I finally gave up and went with a LC9, which is a little bigger than an LCP but a smidge smaller than a Shield. That I can shoot both quickly and accurately enough for me to feel comfortable carrying it. Helps that it's a Ruger, so good reliability and great customer service (though I've never had a problem with it).

But you need to put you hands on as many subcompacts as you can, and shoot them rigorously, before depending on one for carry purposes, imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
The right holster makes all the difference. I use a Vedder Lighttuck IWB, which is model-specific molded kydex with a metal belt clip. The holster retains and the clip won't ever break. Doesn't print at all unless your shirt is too tight. If you aren't using a belt, a good belly band will suffice, although it is more difficult to draw and reholster.

I have one pistol smaller than the XL - a Ruger LC9s. While I do trust it, it's easily the crappiest gun I own. It's what I carry if I'm going somewhere that I'll have to leave it in the car. I almost never carry it. The smaller the pistol, the worse the quality and performance; that's just the way it is. But if your heart is set on something tiny, I guess that would be my recommendation. It's a better alternative than harsh language.
I'm a little different in that i prefer a mid-sized for CC. I have an M&P 2.0 Metal, which is bigger and heavier than most would recomment for an every day carry. This gun is like an extension of my hand though. I've loved the M&P since the very first time i shot it.17+1 and i carry a spare mag at 4/5 o'clock for easy reload. I've never needed to use it and hope i never do but i'm not going to be pinned down in some restaurant or mall with only 10(ish) rounds to defend myself.

I use a Falco leather custom holster. They make them fit any model with whatever attachments you want and they are freaking fantastic. Heavy duty, light-weight leather with a tank of a clip. Super durable and comfortable.

rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.rfaulk34 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.