View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 01:04 AM   #129
MVP

So I'm thinking of Mahomes' contract in the context of what happened with Aaron Rodgers many years ago. Deshaun Watson has leaked to the media that he is going to use Mahomes' contract to squeeze an even bigger salary from the Texans. Given what we saw this past weekend, I think the Texans should tell him to jump off a cliff. But they won't. They'll end up paying him more than Mahomes and they'll be stuck with a QB who isn't the best in the world. Same thing with Dak Prescott and the Cowboys. He will squeeze top dollar out of Jerry Jones after Mahomes pushes the market above $40M.

Years ago, Aaron Rodgers set the market at $22M. Before you knew it, the likes of Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, Jimmy G, and Kirk Cousins were at $25-29M while Rodgers was still at $22M. Similar situation is about to play out with Mahomes. I know a lot of folks on this forum want Mahomes to give the Chiefs a big discount. But the reality is they are getting a massive discount to begin with. If they pay him $40M per year and we see another 5 inferior QB's go above that number in the next few years, then the Chiefs can sit back and laugh their butts off at the rest of the league...same as the Packers did with Rodgers at $22M.

Relative to his peers, Rodgers was worth a hell of a lot more than that $22M number. Same statement is true with Mahomes at $40M. If Dak and Deshaun are gonna get paid $40M, Mahomes' real value is more like $60M. That's a big win for the Chiefs in the grand scheme. The other team that can laugh their butts off is Seattle. Russell Wilson at $35M is a massive steal when you start thinking about a Dak Prescott at $40M.

Last edited by DRM08; 01-17-2020 at 01:21 AM..
DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote