Thread: Other Sports Iditarod
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #18
Wasted away again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenchief View Post
I’ve said before that sled dogs are bat shit crazy. They run. They run like nobody’s business. They live to run. They were born to run. I visited a friend the first winter I was up here. He lived in Kotzebue (north of Nome) and he had a dog team. He took me out for a run and I served as ballast. To prevent the dogs from running away with the sled while the musher is harnessing other dogs, they use boat anchors to anchor the sled into the snow. My friend used 2 boat anchorage, one off each side of the back end of the sled, to prevent the dogs from running. And yet when those dogs got into the harness, they were straining at the harness so hard, they were wanting to run so bad, that they dragged boat anchors through the snow. I’ve never seen anything like it.
When we did our Alaskan cruise, we visited a sled dog camp as one of our excursions. Part of it was riding in a "sled" pulled by a dozen or so dogs. The main thing I took from that was how much the dogs seemed to enjoy running and pulling that sled. They were constantly barking from the moment that they were harnessed up. It was a pretty cool experience and you could tell the trainers really cared about their dogs.
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.