View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #10261
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
I didn't have time the rest of the day to post but just adding to this discussion and why risk management is so important. Here's an easy example.

Let's say I am trading with $100k account. Since my rule is 10% position size, I put $10k on a stock I think will breakout but instead gaps down and I get stopped out at 10% loss. A 10% loss of $10k is $1k. And $1k is only 1% of my total account value. I bet everyone here has seen their account value drop much greater than that on any random day. A 10% loss sounds severe but at only 1% of my total account value (due to position sizing), it's something I can live with and regain rather quickly.

I hope that makes is clear why I am such a stickler for keeping your average losses small. Maintain capital so you can find another stock to trade because there's always something to move that money to if your stock screening/rules are working. The only thing you can't do is make money if your capital is depreciating.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.