View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 12:26 PM   #98
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
If I remember right, Thomas WAS available in this draft at 19. You could certainly go that route (or Franklin) and approach it differently, but I was purposely trying to avoid taking a WR in round 1.

One thing that makes me more informed about the draft - and I think better able to be balanced when reacting to the things the Chiefs actually do - is trying to take different approaches and see how they work out.

Roster building is intricate and fascinating. There are a lot of factors, so these "whole offseason" exercises are a lot of fun. I'll do a few more, I'm sure, as the draft approaches.

Re: Burton, I think that's a player with a well-rounded skillset who can be a much better pro than college player.

He doesn't drop the ball. He tracks deep balls well. He has good speed and solid size. He can run routes. He has been an inside and outisde receiver in college. It's not as sexy as Franklin or Brian Thomas (who I think is a one-trick pony right now, though he is very, very good at that one trick).
Every now and again I just try a complete pivot draft. But what I've also found is that this draft isn't gonna go as smoothly as I hoped it might. Whenever I do the PFF board and turn the randomness down a little and turn draft for need up a bit (because many teams do) and position value up a lot (because almost all teams do that) the draft suddenly gets real tough, real fast.

But this last attempt I decided to work some trade downs (I don't usually do that) and while I don't love the result, I didn't think it was awful either.

Devontez Walker in the mid-2nd. Brandon Dorlus and Leonard Taylor to try to rebuild the interior with some youth (I'd really love that) with two picks in the 3rd. Kris Abrams-Draine in the late 3rd because I thought the value was too good to pass up and CB depth is always good.

Cade Stover and Gabriel Murphy in the 4th; obviously I like Stover but I think Murphy is another interesting situational pass-rusher here, if maybe a little undersized for a full-time role. In the 4th, who cares?

Cody Schrader in the 5th as well as James Williams - athletic cover safety out of Miami and Steele Chambers as a STs and backup Will out of Ohio State. Trey Knox as a practice squad and developmental flyer with my last pick in the 6th.

There's not a knockout pick in that group, but I think that's going to be the nature of this draft. There's gonna be a lot of "damn, just missed our guy" I think. And we're going to be sitting there with a lot of similarly situated prospects with some frequency.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.