Thread: 2024 WR Class
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 07:57 AM   #2820
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks View Post
Couple quick post-combine addendums to earlier posts I made:

It's always been my opinion the gauntlet drill translates pretty well to what you can expect these guys to turn out to be. The gauntlet doesn't show you much in terms of quickness/route running, but in my opinion it gives you a good idea who can catch, and who can catch at game speed. It's one of the reasons I wasn't as high as others on Jalin Hyatt last year.

My opinion of Keon Coleman has changed. I thought he killed the gauntlet drill, so his stock has gone up for me. I wasn't sure he had quickness and speed to separate and I questioned why FSU used him on punt returns. There's a difference between game speed and track speed. You're not catching a football running track. The way Coleman didn't slow down to catch those passes and how confidently he caught them with his hands really impressed me. He's a natural hands-catcher with great size and good game speed. He also showed better quickness than I expected in some of the other drills. We could do worse at pick 32 than this guy and since watching him at the combine, I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we picked him.

My reservations regarding Troy Franklin were exacerbated after watching his gauntlet and a few other drills. His 40 went as I expected, maybe even better. But he just doesn't seem like a natural hands-catcher to me. He weaved and he slowed down quite a bit in the gauntlet. Some of the other drills had me questioning his ability to fight through press coverage, run quick routes, and catch the football. He lost his balance in a lot of drills, seems like he'd be easy to jam. He has great speed, but I didn't see the quickness that you need to run crisp routes. And he just doesn't seem like a natural, confident catcher of the football to me. He's the kind of guy who could have a few drops early in his career that mess with his mind. Just my opinion and I could be wrong, I know a lot of you guys who I respect like him.
Looks like NFL GMs have similar opinions as I had on Franklin since he’s still on the board after 3 rounds.
JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote