Thread: Food and Drink Strouds fried chicken
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #217
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallflagg View Post
I've eaten at Strouds a few times. OK is about all I could ever give them. There WAS however a place in Shawnee Mission (back in the day) called "KT Fryers" that probably had the best fired chicken/chicken fried steak I have eaten at - this coming from a Southern boy who grew up with damned good chicken.

Unfortunately, the place burned to the ground. No more KT Fryers.....

But yeah, Strouds doesn't really do it for me....
KT Fryers was the Stroud's model. Same menu, same pan fry, same family style serving. Pretty sure the owner was with Strouds for a long time before setting out on his own. Grandma's out at the raceway tried the same but had HORRIBLE service.

Over the years, been to Strouds about 20x, KT about 6-8 [would've been more if it hadn't burned down], and Grandma's once.

Every meal at the old Troost Strouds under the underpass ranked among the best. KT's was just about as good, and had the plus of being <1mi from [my] grandma [not the grandma restaurant], just not quite as good as the very best at the Troost location.

If I made an official top-10, it'd probably be 1-3 Strouds Troost, then 4-10 evenly split between KT and Stroud Troost.

The last couple at Fairway were just OK, but they closed that one.

Grandma's wasn't so much bad food as ATROCIOUS service. We left ANGRY, not just disappointed but ANGRY, and they closed within 6 months so it was probably a chronic problem

Incidently, there was about 3 years in the early 00s where there was a Strouds clone not far from me here in St.L [can't remember the name]. Ironically, their biggest different was my personal favorite thing at Strouds, instead of the slow-cooked green beans with all that schmaltz, they had a 'fancy' haricort-verts almondine side. It was good, but not in keeping with the rest of the menus.

Last edited by Baby Lee; 09-23-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.