Thread: QB Impressions
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #196
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
I'm not saying don't draft one. I'm just saying don't waste a draft pick by reaching for an overrated QB prospect if there's someone at another position who is clearly a better player and will actually contribute to the success of the team.

Even the top couple of QBs in this class are late 1st to early 2nd round talents at best while the rest look like 4th round, or later, developmental prospects. But some idiotic team is going to reach on them and lose out on a higher caliber player at another position.
I think that's alot of media stuff in terms of where the QB's get put on boards. Every year we see guys get drafted early and people go "what?" It's kind of just up to the individual team and where they see guys. I don't know that they are 2nd round talents. I just don't think there's a guy there if you're picking in the top 10 or 15 and you need a guy to start this year, that there is one there for you. That doesn't mean don't take them round 1 or even high. They just all look to need some film room time and some refinement in some things. Most of these kids haven't taken a snap from under center since high school. They have to learn 3, 5, and 7 step drops and timing out of those drops. If they came from all these 1-2 read spread programs, they have to learn to make more reads. I don't think these kids are ready for the NFL game mentally like they used to come out ready. I'd say all of the guys in the top say 8 QB's have the arm talent. And the big thing for me is that QBs always get overvalued. If you think they are a 2nd round guy, then bump that up a round. If you think they are a round 1 type, then generally bump that up to top 10. It's just the nature of the beast. Teams need QBs and they throw more caution to the wind at that position than any other.

I guess that's where NFL teams have to place there dividing lines. Which kids are closest to ready and have legitimate NFL talent because those are my round 1's. Which ones are further away? I think my guys that are closest are going to be Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes. I think Watson has the least natural arm talent of that group and Mahomes has the greatest. Watson is the most tested. I'd probably have those my round 1 guys. I think Kizer is my borderline guy. He's just has been too inconsistent for me to say with certainty he should go round 1, but he's at least a guy you take round 2 and develop for a couple seasons. I don't like Kayaa that much, I really don't like his arm and his decision making and I think you have to start with one or the other. He's probably a 4th round guy to me. Peterman and Webb are my 3rd round types. Peterman is poised, he's NFL ready from the idea of reads and progressions. He's got the goods that way, but he lacks enough zip to be a guy I put round 1. I just don't know if he's going to be able to make those tight sideline throws or throws into NFL windows 20 yards down field. I think he's a guy you hope develops better core strength to deliver those strikes and he could be a very solid backup. Webb is kind of the other way around. I don't like his accuracy, but he spins a good ball. He doesn't make the best decisions with the football, but he's not as bad as many, even some in round 1. If he can improve his accuracy on short and intermediate throws, he could end up being a steal. Right now I see him as Nick Foles 2.0, a borderline starter in a couple years that's going to bounce around. Evans and Kelly have the arms, but they are more of my 5th round guys. Evans, we'll see if he can be an NFL type of QB. He's never had to make reads and I don't like the way he tucks and runs after one look. He actually reminds me alot of the way Alex Smith seemed to play a good portion of this season.... He's a guy to bring in but you won't have your answers about him immediately. Kelly, I know he can play but he's a knucklehead. Maybe some humbling by being a #3 clipboard holder for a couple years will get his head on straight, and if not you only wasted a day 3 pick. I think Dobbs and Beathard are draftable, but you've got some projects there that you hope might turn into solid backups for you at some point.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.