Thread: Movies and TV House of the Dragon
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #137
**** the Raiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
The problem with the entire idea, at least as a book reader nerd, is that the Targaryens just aren't terribly interesting characters. I've mentioned it before in some other GoT thread, but they were just mediocre Valyrians who happened to not be in town when the city went 'splodey. They were rulers by happenstance and not terribly good at it.

Look at the characters in GoT. Obviously Tyrion carried a lot of the weight, but Varys, Bronn, Sam, Davos, Littlefinger, The Hound, Robert - these are all characters that bring a different feel to the show.

This looks like you're gonna have a bunch of stoic and entitled Targaryen's with a dash of Ned nobility and Stannis obstinance sprinkled in. Plus a mis-cast Daemon.

The Targaryen's just aren't as interesting as the dueling families with their histories and their different personalities shaped by time/geography, etc...

It just doesn't have the depth of characters to keep things interesting. It'll have an Arya and Sansa and Robb and probably even a Jon sort of character. But those guys, while they often drove the story, didn't make the story entertaining.

It was the ancillary characters and their personalities/actions that made GoT interesting.

And Ros. Man oh man did Esme Bianco keep my attention...
I have not read Fire and Blood but, even at that I can easily see what you are saying. They went to Westeros with dragons, conquered it with dragons, lost it due to no more dragons and because cray cray, and then nearly won it back because dragons once again but, it slipped through their fingers because cray cray. (Sorry for the run on sentence)

Frankly, the most interesting Targaryen centric story I can think of would be coming to Westeros and conquering it. And even that story I feel like would have a fairly low ceiling for amount of creative story telling.

I’m still giving it a chance though, even after I determined I wasn’t going to because **** anything GRRM until he finishes ASOIAF. I’m weak, whatever.
Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.