Thread: Life The bee keeper diaries
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #93
They gon' regret that trade!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
That's interesting. I have one hive with hive beetles. I haven't treated them but smash as many beetles as I can when I open it. I named that hive after a local welfare apartment complex because none of those bastards are working during the day and have bed bugs. They're mean too. If they make it through winter I'll pinch that queen in the spring.
I love smashing those little ****ers!
Small hive beetles usu aren't a problem in a strong hive. They're considered a secondary pest, and a lot of beeks (like myself) don't do anything to control.
Personally, I've never lost a hive to SHB. They've been in every hive I've had, but the bees seem to keep them in check. The bees push them into the upper portions of the hive (inner cover and the gaps between the hive body and frames) and I've not had them in the honeycomb.
Earlier this year I tried Swiffer sheets, but it caught more bees than SHB. I do not recommend.
redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.redfan is obviously part of the inner Circle.