View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #3712
Unsparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
No, JJ's propensity to soft-reboot everything made TFA so lame.

OLD HEAD fans wanted 3 things:
1) One last hurrah for the old characters before the new heroes took over.
2) An end to the OT characters that was honorable and did them justice.
3) To find out what Luke/Leia had become and what their impact was on the galaxy after 40 years.

They don't have to win the day, they don't have to be large parts of the story, just wrap their story up in a respectful way.

And instead they decided to say "Forget the past - adopt feminism. Kill the past if you have to."
1) Done.

2) Done.

3) Not completely fleshed out in the films, but the three books leading up to VIII spelled it all out clearly. I've heard several complaints/reviews about having to go to outside material to get the scoop, but if you're gonna' SW, then by god go all-in.

Changes to VIII:

1) I would have had Poe and Finn quest for the Slicer; **** "Rose" right in her plump, little lotus-blossom kiester. We didn't need a shiny new PC, all-inclusive character in the mix as much as we needed to further develop the relationship between two characters we already have; Poe and Finn.

2) Fleshing it out with flash backs.
The trend started in Epi VII, let's take it further:
a) MOAR backstory/flashing regarding the training of Ben and the events that led up to his turning, including the formation of the Knights of Ren. THOSE guys got COMPLETELY hosed. What a waste.
Work those alternating between,
b) The relationship, training, and Rise of Snoke through Palpatine and the formation of the First Order. Palps, in canon, found young Snoke on Jakku and set him to watch over one of his Sith relic storehouses. Let's see the discovery, training, and rise of this neglected character. Let's see how money was funded through Imperial-loyal factions in the New Republic Senate, and let's ditch that little boy at the end of this film altogether!
Watch that film and tell me that the perfect end-wipe isn't in the Millenium Falcon with the Resistance numbers decimated to just a handful; VERY 'Empire'-like if you ask me.

These two substitutions alone could have made the film work better while simultaneously wrapping up far too many loose ends.
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.