Thread: Movies and TV Star Wars: The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #1519
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by underEJ View Post
The depth of details on the face are much better on the new one. You can look closely at his mole or dimple to see that, but even his nose shape flattens a bit in the original. The color correction done likely by the final colorist to dampen highlights seems to have exacerbated it too.

The "improvement" has studio bright highlights and reflections in the eyes and that doesn't fit with the overall lighting of the scene so it stands out if you were watching more than a clip but it isn't horrible. It is made a bit worse because there is not enough lighting change when the head moves so the shadows don't have any temporal shift from frame to frame. The new version also broke the lip sync.

Overall, I'd say it is a wash, but the improved version definitely has a more appealing look with the brighter highlights even though that was not the intent of the scene. And there is no question the lack of depth of detail is the biggest problem with the original.
Thank you! I definitely noticed the lip sync issue, as I'm ridiculously attuned to that kind of sync and saw some of the color correction. I also noticed, even on my "best" TV, that the details around the face were a bit "smeared" but I figured that was done on purpose because more detail would have probably made it look even more like VFX.

That said, I don't think these new HP monitors provide that level of detail in order to see some of the other things mentioned. But I will say that the TCL 5 series 50" OLED TV I purchased recently is 10x clearer than the 75" 4 series I purchased just last year.

In "The Jedi", there's a scene with Din Djarin and Ahsoka speaking by the campfire, in which I can clearly see fingerprints on the Mandalorian helmet!

That's a little too much detail, IMO, and must be a nightmare on set.

Thanks again!
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.