View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #260
Starter

Couple things I noticed while watching the all 22:

Alex Smith has limited arm talent. He doesn't create offense. He's not going to turn a busted play into a 20-30 yard gain. The key to his success is when he makes good decisions pre-snap and post snap to put his team in manageable third downs and move the chains. After the game Reid spoke about how the offense is out of rhythm and how it's the QBs job to keep the team in rhytym. To me this means decision making.

I don't have posting permissions to post a gif but the play where Smith throws an interception on the shovel pass is a microcosm of his bad decision making in this game. Allow me to discuss the play without the visual:

It's a zone read run pass option play. Alex's read is JPP. If he stays at home on the Tyreek sweep option Alex shovels it to Kelce; if he crashes down because he recognizes Fisher doesn't even block him - pulling across his face to block the linebacker - Alex should hand to number 10. Pretty simple right? Guess not. Smith was fresh out of gigabytes on this play. The result is JPP wrecks Kelce, the ball pops up in the air and is intercepted. Let me be clear. Alex mentally took this play off. He was going to shovel it no matter what. He didn't even read JPP.

So, if Reid calls all these read option plays to play to Alex's strengths (or weaknesses depending on how you look at it) and he can't even read the weak side DE.... why is he in there? Mahommes can't do that? IF Alex gets replaced this year -- I think, believe it or not, it's because of his decision making. You know, the thing keeping the rookie on the bench.
There are more plays like this in the game but to me that's the perfect example of Smith's mental slump. Let the rookie play.
maninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutmaninthemiddle is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote