View Single Post
Old 01-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #129
It was not a fair catch

Minnesota utilities tell residents: Turn down your thermostats amid deep freeze
The state is trudging through subzero temperatures.

Utilities in Minnesota are calling on residents to turn down their thermostats due to a rise in demand for natural gas as extreme cold makes its way across the United States.

Xcel and Centerpoint Energy have each recommended reducing heat through at least Tuesday, noting that spot prices for natural gas are spiking due to supply and demand during the cold weather, and excessive usage could land customers with much higher costs.

Centerpoint recommends lowering thermostats to 65 degrees during the day when home and lowering it an additional five degrees when asleep or away. Xcel asks thermostats to be set from 65 to 70 degrees while home and 58 degrees when away.

The reduction could help limit the impact of higher prices on customers' bills, with turning down the heat in your home by 1 degree resulting in around 3% savings on your gas costs.

Xcel says for its customers, the increase in natural gas prices is "significant smaller" than the massive spike experienced during Winter Storm Uri in 2021.

Do I set my furnace lower and run my gas fireplace more or vice versa?
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.