Thread: Movies and TV *The NEW Movies Thread*
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 02:43 PM   #4071
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Yeah, I started rewatching it because DJLN is all up in here talking about her.

I had forgotten how good it was. And knowing the beats that it hits, I can appreciate the nuance I glossed over before.

It is definitely a good re-watch.
i never read the book it was based upon, but the streaming series had incredible screenwriting.

Tons of nuance, and had all kinds of sexual and racial things that could have gotten into tiresome woke tropes, but never descended there.

Ana had obstacles, but was never a "victim." Chess was a boys club, but when she proved her excellence over the board, the chess obessed guys totally accepted her as a peer.

The whole thing about substance addiction, but how the substance addiction helped her visulize chess in her head was an interesting theme, and so much more emotional nuance in the characters was top shelf writing, and the actors executed the parts very well.
JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.