Thread: Chiefs NFL trade watch
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #268
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
That’s a little unfair. This is a unique situation in that the Texans have totally ****ed up. They are an absolute mess right now and don’t even have a GM.

They’re going to end up giving a 3rd for ****ing Duke Johnson.
But if that was the proposed compensation in the spring (per the Tweet) then it was still a time the Chiefs could've taken advantage of the discord.

It's not a one-off, is all I'm saying. He has several of these iffy sorts of deals on his register already. I mean that Clark trade/contract is such that he'd BETTER be a top 5 finisher for the DPOY. All the "man, Clark looks pretty good" stuff is kinda strange to me because we just traded for and paid the man as though he's nearly as good as Kalil Mack.

So if he goes out there and provides good run defense and 10-12 sacks, some people are going to say "hey, nice acquisition" whereas I see no way to call that anything but a failure. Brett Veach paid dearly for Frank Clark and if he's not a genuine difference maker, that's another L. Watkins is almost certainly an L; hard for him to do anything that will justify the $30+ million he's going to make in the 2 years of this deal. Hitchens isn't quite set in stone as an L yet because that's probably a 3 year deal with a reasonable possibility for 4 if he bounces back - there's time there.

And I'll ask the same thing I asked on Mathieu when we originally signed him - as much as I like the player, if Mathieu was seeking $10 million/season the year before after AZ cut him and had a solid but not eye opening season in Houston (he was essentially the same player he's always been), where the hell were the Chiefs in 2018 when he was available at $10 million/season and why was he suddenly worth $14 million in 2019? That's that target fixation at work again, IMO - when he wasn't on Veach's radar, he wasn't worth $10 million to this franchise. But once Veach decided he wanted Tyron Mathieu, plan B wasn't even a consideration and he was just going to pay what it took.

Some will applaud that - pick your guy and do what it takes to get him. Okay - but it had better work. It's what I said about Pioli way back when he was dumping over the roster, bringing in Patriot retreads and putting his eggs in the Matt Cassel basket. I thought it was foolish but acknowledged that if he's going to have that kind of tunnel vision - he'd better be right.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.