View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yup.

Heard a quote once that was essentially "The problem is that people get everything they were after and suddenly realize that their dreams were too small..."

And that one hit hard. Professionally I spent 10 years pursuing a role I got. Now I have it and I'm boooooored. And stuck - ain't anyplace else to go here. But I damn sure don't want to start over either because it's probably just gonna be a repeat of the same cycle.

30 didn't bother me because I was on track; was ticking all the boxes and growing and developing and moving forward. 40's gonna bring me to my knees. Why? Because I feel like the last 5 years have just been spinning my wheels. And with COVID and shit it's been doubly bad because it's hard to fend off fatalism. How hard I work/don't work is irrelevant if X or Y passes or if the country continues to tailspin.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I try to contextualize it as best I can (look; my life's pretty damn good and this is truly just finding things to bitch about), but I think it happens no matter how successful/unsuccessful some people are.

Some people prefer the hunt to the spoils. And they're just perpetually restless souls. I'm reading Grant right now and man, that's Grant through and through - guy was miserable when he was content. He drank because of successes as often as failures.

I think Tomahawk has the right of it - you've gotta just find something else to chase and force yourself to chase it. A skill/hobby seems like a start. Maybe just start forcing yourself into activity when you're doing otherwise sedentary activities (only watch TV or play video games when you're on a treadmill, for instance).

I think it's pretty common.
Wow has that quote hit me hard. I'm about to transition to my 4th job in roughly 6 years. I keep eyeballing the big salary increases, while hoping that I'll get a commensurate amount of challenge to go with it. What I'm finding is I come in, kick ass and climb the mountain, then after about a year, I am not challenged enough and want something more. I'm about to start working for the VA, so I hope I'll be satisfied with the job security, benefits, and serving veterans. Just a bit terrified of this constant wanderlust and how its going to bite me in the ass someday.

As for the OP, working out helps a ton, and a little pot to settle the mind has always helped. Just don't overdue it. Stick to the weekends.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote