View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 01:36 AM   #36
Cynical Misanthrope

I lived in rural Alaska and game was very common - moose, caribou, salmon, halibut and other game was frequently on the menu. More exotic fare that I’ve eaten:

Beluga whale - very dark but quite mild. I ate the meat, not fat. Sautéed in butter it was delicious.

Walrus - tougher than shoe leather and tastes like rancid fish.

Seal - not as tough as walrus but tasted the same. Seal oil was horrible.

Porcupine - pork with a hint of pine

Beaver - ate the legs in fajitas (no joke). Fatty and similar to pork.

Black bear - ate spring black bear before they started eating fish. Similar to pork but with lots more fat.

Brown bear - they eat garbage and smell worse. Not eaten by humans but fed to dogs.

Tundra swan - I think this could be good if prepared correctly but what I ate was over-cooked.

Ducks - I ate multitudes with wild rice. Pretty tasty if you avoid ones that eat fish, like merganzers (sp?)

I aim to go hunting in Africa and I want to eat: zebra, kudu, hippo, sable, eland, and impala. I hear waterbuck can be gross because their coat has a water-repelling oil that will make the meat taste bad.

With that, what would I eat from the zoo? It would have to be an herbivore. Any carnivor or omnivore would taste bad, although alligator is a carnivore and gator tail can taste pretty good. Hippo would rate high on my list of animals. Based on what I’ve eaten so far, beluga would be up there and so would porcupine.
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote