View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #41
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Um....both?

From a purely mechanical perspective, the deal is reached AFTER the trade. There are not true 'sign and trade' deals in the NFL due to accelerated signing bonuses and things like that.

The trade for Cassel was NOT contingent on an extension - the Chiefs really did give up a 2nd round pick for one !@#$ing season of that goddamn inbred one who sucks the penis. And somehow they'd have been better off by just ending it there but after that they also reached an agreement with him completely independent of any additional compensation to the Patriots.

However, nobody in the world thinks that the Raiders hadn't given the Bears permission to deal directly with Mack's representation once the draft compensation was worked out. There was no way the Bears were giving up that much for a single season of Mack on the tag.

So the answer is - it depends. Yes, I absolutely believe the Chiefs could get a 3rd round pick for a single season of Ford with the acquiring team being of the belief that they can either tag him again or reach an agreement later. However, the Chiefs would almost certainly prefer push an arrangement for a 2nd or higher where they would give the acquiring team a chance to go ahead and speak Fords people regarding an extension and have one hammered out that effectively goes into effect concurrently with the trade itself. Hell, the tag isn't even the only path to this - that's effectively what happened in the Alex Smith trade as well.
Smith was still under contract though, so we'd have to tag him first to have his rights I think.

I was assuming it would be essentially done contractually before the trade was agreed to but kind of a hush hush thing.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.