View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #415
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Man, Staylor - how'd I become the "Hates Chris Jones" guy in your world?

I mean this is my first post in the official Chris Jones thread!

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...&postcount=293

I mean yeah, I undersold him (most notably w/r/t his first step), but he did need to be coached out of the pad-level thing and he's largely done that. And the off/on effort thing was a problem even coming into the 2019 season, when I think he largely fixed it.

For a guy who has no qualms saying I flat out loathe a player ({cough} Breeland Speaks {coughcough}) I think that's a pretty measured criticism of a player who I flat said I didn't mind, even if I didn't like their approach in getting him.

Ultimately my concerns over the 5th year option may/may not have amounted to anything though. Bottom line was that the guy became TOO good for the 5th year option to matter much (guys at his level don't play on that 5th year tag) and then he took such an incredibly team friendly deal that we probably weren't going to be able to leverage that deal any further than we leveraged overall good will.

Did he end up being a better player than I thought he'd be? No question - but I hardly said "**** this scrub - he blows...". I saw some areas of concern, laid out some real strengths and said - "this is fine player but an awfully odd way to go about getting him..."

EDIT: The real 'win' in the trade down, though, ended up being Charvarius Ward. Man, what a friggen rehab job that was. Turning a pretty cruddy trade-down and pick (Ehinger) into a legitimate starting CB on a peanuts contract was just a masterstroke from Veach. Full marks for that one, Bert.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.