Thread: Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #765
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm looking for some informed opinions on cabinets and hardwood flooring options.

Are Thunder Bay cabinets from Menards Junk or nice budget cabinets?
Also looking at Merillat Classic Hickory.

My intention has been to put in quite a bit of hickory hardwood, but some of the engineered laminate hardwoods look like a decent option. What do I need to know or keep in mind for cost comparison.
Don't buy anything from Menards. They generally sell two qualities of product. Good, and crap. Any cabinet named "Thunder" makes me nervous. Check Home Depot and Lowe's. Not only do they carry higher quality products, but employ adults, whereas Menards employs as many high school and college kids as possible. They are the Wal-Mart of home improvement stores. Not only b/c of those policies, but many others. John Menard is known as being generally a shitty person.

Look at it this way, the low end store brand tools, Husky (Home Depot) & Kobalt (Lowe's) > Tool Shop/Master Force (Menards).

As for flooring. Lumber Liquidators is great and they have many higher grade cheap options. Also, check with a local wood mill and see what it would cost to buy solid Hickory flooring direct from them.

Hope this helps.
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.