View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #164
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
A lot of great stuff in this thread.

Another IT perspective. I've had consecutive months of 80 hour work weeks/~320 hour months, where it almost becomes a competition with yourself to see how much shit you can get done (and hoping it pays off during review time). It was quite literally sleep, getting ready for work, driving a few minutes to work, work, driving home from work, work... and some food in there while working.

And for the first several years of IT, I would always be looking for something else... maybe not week 1 of a new job, but it certainly didn't take long. I would always want to know what was out there.

My 2¢...

You better love what you do, and don't be afraid to try something completely different if you're in a rut.

As many others have said, find things and people that will make it all worth it... whether that's volunteering, making beer, social distancing in the woods, etc.
Yeah, I think this is universal to all I.T. No matter the part of I.T. your in. All the issues you see are probably happening at the shop down the street. Grass isnt greener.

There was a period of 10-15 years when I pursued the biggest projects at the biggest companies using the latest tech. But, it came at the cost you mention 70-80 hour work weeks. Got paid well but eventually burned out.

To the OP I've changed careers and career paths when I wasn't happy. It was a gamble each time. Its really hard to do when you have a family to support. Just plan it out. Get your wife and family to buy in to this new path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanBusby View Post
I work my 40 hours per week and I am done. My burn out comes from all the extra time studying and other shit that comes with it. But if you can't get the work done in 40, well that's on management to figure that problem out.
We swapped resumes didn't we? I have 20+ technical certifications. Not a single one braindumped. I have to do this shit in the real world. Cant shortcut the tech or yourself in the real world. You cant hide. Everyone will know your tech skills in a few months anyway. I'll set aside time on the weekend to deep dive into the new tech. I'll watch a baseball game and set up stuff to practice with. I do still love the learning of new tech. That helps.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.