View Single Post
Old 01-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #244
The 23rd Pillar

Quote:
Originally posted by stumppy
I think he already knows what a lot of his problem is, and he scratched the surface in post #60 on this thread.
He said something to the effect of " One thing that has contributed to him being fucked is that he used to be a Jehova Witness".
I'll apologize in advance if I offend any fellow planeteers with what I'm going to say.
What this means is that he has been taught, well, taught is putting it lightly,more like programed that he should not associate socially with anyone who is not a J.W. And, if at some time he did anything that went against the J.W.'s beliefs he would have been disassociated (correct term?) by all of the J.W.'s. Including his own family. Basically a person could be socially ostracized for what GC was trying to get the courage up to do tonight.
If GC was raised as a J.W. he's probably had few, if any, oppurtunities to be around regular Joes that party, drink, and chase tang on a regular basis. That could certainly make the idea of going to a party and picking up on some chick seem like a scary proposition. He'd be going into uncharted waters. And, on at least a subconscious level, feeling that it is just wrong to do that sort of thing would not make it any easier.
All the advice in the world about how to hit on the girl, how to act , what to do and what not to do isn't going to help. It boils down to his fear of the unknown. He's just gonna have to decide to do it.

I was a lot like GoChiefs when I was younger. I wasn't quite the uber-nerd that he is, but I suffered from paralysing fear when confronted with the prospect of talking to girls that I found attractive. I can only imagine what being a former JW on top of that shyness will do for you. I found out later that even some of my closest friends thought I was either gay or asexual. But, in reality, I was probably one of the horniest, hetero chicken-$#its around.

GoChiefs, you've gotten a lot of good advice during the past 24 hours. I hope you can take a chance because it really isn't as scary as you think it is (I eventually learned that lesson). Just don't go into it expecting to get laid. Start slowly by getting to know people on a friendly, non-sexual level. After you're more comfortable socializing, then you can worry about moving on to romance.

Get in touch with Drunkinpublic the next time you have a party to go to. Its always a lot easier to be at a party when you have someone who you know will talk to you. It gets pretty awkward standing around at a party by yourself because you don't know how to enter into a smalltalk conversation.

BUT DON'T WASTE YOUR OPPORTUNITIES TO SOCIALIZE DURING YOUR COLLEGE YEARS. IT WILL BE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO LEARN HOW AFTER YOU LEAVE COLLEGE.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.