Thread: Home and Auto EV Cars/Trucks
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2024, 08:31 AM   #163
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Eh, tough to say. I originally got it to help troubleshoot some problems we were having with our AC, and it did do that. (My HVAC guy was impressed that I could give him a chart that showed the exact second the condenser shut off.)

Beyond that, it's helped me to understand how much energy it takes to run my furnace blower 24/7 and allowed me to fine tune the right blower speed to balance circulation and cost.

Most everything else is mostly just for fun, but it's definitely interesting. Depending on what you're trying to troubleshoot, a Kill A Watt meter costs like $30 and can help you understand the energy usage of anything that plugs into a standard 120 outlet. That's where I'd start if you don't already have one. I use mine all the time to get a feel for how much juice random appliances are pulling.
Appreciate the response! I have thought about the kill-a-watt approach, but my biggest questions are around my hvac that includes a whole home dehumidifier that runs 24/7 (we have no idea why) and 2x hot water heaters (we didn't ask for 2). We did have an issue our main fridge that ran almost 24/7 until it was repaired. On top of it all, we likely have an insulation issue that needs to be rectified this summer. New houses are so much fun!

Either way, I think I am going to order your solution and see if it helps. Thanks again.
SurroundedByMorons has disabled reputation