View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhom View Post
Seems to me they should be viewing batteries as an interchangeable unit rather than a fixed piece of the vehicles. A Tesla station should have fully charged battery packs ready to switch out when you arrive. That may make design more of a challenge but would improve one of the big drawbacks, especially for trucks. You don’t own the batteries, but exchange them when you need a new charge. Battery replacement also seems like a huge sustaining capital cost that never gets figured in when looking at the costs. What is the lifespan? Maybe a few years if you are lucky?
They tried the battery swap route. Both they and the public weren't huge fans. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they don't do it for the Semi though. A lease agreement on the batteries could bring down the initial investment for buyers and reduce their unfounded anxiety on battery life.

Tesloop is operating a Model S with over 300,000 miles on it so far in just 2 yrs(?). School has over 90% capacity.

Tesla has brought in the world's leading battery excluded Jeff Dahn to try and help achieve some improvements.

One of the goals was you double the battery life. I think it was intended to be a 5 year protect. I think they double the expected battery life in a few months.

The completely arbitrary of 10 years is been assigned to the lifespan of the battery packso the soonest, we can infer that teslas battery packs may live above 80% capacity for I'll to 20 years.

In 10-20 yrs, the cost of knew batteries should be negligible compared with the savings in other maintenance and fuel savings.

Last edited by aturnis; 11-17-2017 at 02:32 PM..
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.