View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #31
World's finest morphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
What's your point. They never promised more. Their internal goal was 1500/week run rate.

If they made 10 cars in the last hour of Q3, they achieved said goal. Only Wall Street would never report it that way b/c they focus on short-term, not long-term. Such is the nature of the daily closing bell.

The ramp will involve a lot of downtime to adjust line components for max efficiency. That's how production line optimization works. Only most companies slow the ramp to reduce downtime and increase production. That's not something Tesla is interested in. For them, long-term outweighs short-term.

Their big bottleneck is in the battery production gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada.

An unnamed systems integrator(probably Panasonic) dropped the ball on battery production ramp and Tesla learned of the problem too late. They had to completely rewrite 20-30 man years of software in a matter of weeks. Also had to rework many electrical and mechanical components.

To rewrite all that software likely took loads of manpower. I'd estimate 500+ software programmers/engineers. This is likely why the improvement of autopilot 2.0 has suffered as a result.
I'm not too worried about their delays in production. I just want to have a company from the US that is seen as at least as good as Toyota is viewed, you know? Having a great warranty is nice, but being without your car leaves a mark as well, so there has to be a balance there.
morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.morphius is obviously part of the inner Circle.