View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #768
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
Taking huge risks doesn’t automatically translate into “good.”

I know you’re not saying that exactly, but I hear that frequently as the implied reason people should give Rian a pass. The problems with the movie are numerous and could have been mitigated by a better director.

The fact that he is now calling people who don’t like his movie names and implying they must be motivated by politics rather than wanting a good film that isn’t filled with stupidness is just insulting. The guy is full of himself and frankly, if Disney goes forward with his movies, I (and many others) won’t be watching them.
I'll disagree with your final paragraph. What happened, what continues to happen is actually the reverse. I love that he's speaking out against these idiots and standing up for his cast and crew. We need more people like him doing the same. He isn't attacking "people who don't like his movies" he's attacking people who are attacking him, the actors, other fans, and behaving reprehencibly. The people he's talking to are shitty people.

And obviously, there is a political motivation to it. Just look at this thread alone. It's rampant. The bullshit political bend that the opposition is insistent upon is a large part of why we're even having this conversation.

Obviously, there are plenty of people who don't like the movie for totally valid reasons. He's not calling out and/or attacking those people. No one at Disney/Lucasfilm is. Art is subjective. I like some things you hate and visa versa, I'm sure. People won't ever 100% agree on anything artistic because it can't be done. I respect people's opinions when they are well informed and well articulated. I don't respect bullying Kelly Marie Tran or Daisy Ridley or John Boyega.

As you said, taking risks doesn't automatically make something good. I agree with that completely. I happen to think TLJ is really ****ing good. It's my second favorite Star Wars film, so far. Part of what I like about it is that it took risks. But it's not a perfect film. It's flawed, like all the Star Wars movies. It swings and misses, just like all the Star Wars movies. But I have difficulting seeing what so many others see, that the film somehow shit all over Star Wars and betrayed fans. That I have a hard to with. I just don't see that at all. To me, The Last Jedi is inherently Star Wars.

I'm sure if Rian is able to make his movies, many won't watch them. But many will. I, for one, am really looking forward to those films and I'll be disappointed if they don't get made. These movies are never going to please everyone. And that's okay. There's plenty of room in Star Wars for everyone. You'll like some of it, you won't like some of it.

But rooting for it fail, bullying actors off of social media, hurling toxicity at each other, bragging about how poorly a movie performs and generally taking joy in ripping joy away from others is awful, disgusting behavior. I'm not accusing you personally of any of that, but you can't deny it's out there. Other posters have literally said as much in this and other Star Wars threads. And I can't wrap my head around that.

These are a bunch of cheesy, campy, pulpy space opera stories that go "pew pew" and maybe make us smile from time to time. It's just not worth the vitriol and ugliness.

Movies are a business. I get that. And Lucasfilm wants people to want to see their movies, to make as much money as possible. I also get that. And I understand how naive it sounds... but I truly believe these artists don't own fans anything. I'm sorry, they just don't. The artists involved have every right to make their movie, their way, without being held hostage by a fanbase that's never going to agree on anything anyway.

Old fans will fall away. New fans will join the ranks. That's how this is going to go. If Disney doesn't understand that, if they plan on "negotiating with terrorists" (so to speak) then the franchise will be life-less and meaningless in a few years.

Last edited by Red Brooklyn; 06-11-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Red Brooklyn Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.