View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #907
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
Would have been a great contract if MLB didn't juice the ball. Ian Kennedy is as fly ball pitcher as there is. On paper, it was a smart signing. MLB ****ed us is what happened.

Getting caught with a fly ball heavy staff when MLB juiced the ball at the same time as everyone started adjusting his swing for additional loft was a pretty brutal confluence of events.

It definitely hurt Kennedy, and he’s not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKchiefs View Post
Those are alright I suppose, but to me the failures far outweigh the successes.

- Giving away Jose Martinez for nothing.

-Not trading Duffy

- Signing Gordon and Kennedy

- Horrible in the draft

I really hope I'm wrong, but despite having 4 top 40 picks I have absolutely no faith in any substance coming from this draft. I also have little faith in getting any substantial return at the trade deadline.

Moore hasn’t been as good in the draft as he needs to be to keep waves rolling in to KC, but he also has enough success to be considered better than “horrible.” He has performed well with large bonus pools, or when he has the flexibility to overpay slot for some key players. That’s the situation this year.

They also have done very well in the past 2 drafts. Pratto, Melendez, Lee, Tillo, Zuber, Gigliotti, Lopez, etc.

Trading Danny Duffy is a lot harder in real life than in MlB the Show. If they had found a package that was valuable enough to move him, they would have. Offers were lackluster for him over the winter.

When you trade an established player with years of control left at reasonable prices, you have to get enough value back to mitigate the risk of giving them up.

Jose Martinez was a mistake.

Gordon and Kennedy are mistakes in hindsight, though the Kennedy deal was questioned widely when it happened. Gordon’s was not.

Both of those were attempts to maximize contention window in 16 and 17. Kennedy paid off expectations in 16, though the rest of the team did not.

It’s easy to critique the Gordon deal in hindsight but intellectually dishonest to act like it looked like a bad deal when completed.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.