View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #15455
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
No pics but it turned out pretty good. The texture was just amazing and it's crazy that the time window is so variable, which makes dinner timing very easy. I cooked at 135 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I seared each side for 1 minute in a very hot cast iron after the Sous Vide. However, it didn't taste as good as a steak cooked just in the cast iron. I seasoned the steak before placing in the bag but should I be timing the seasoning differently? Normally I season steaks with salt/pepper and let them sit in the fridge overnight before cooking.
Pre-sear.

Thaw it, sear it, bag it. Sear it again afterwards if you want for texture's sake.

But when you pre-sear, it creates some carmalization that then exists during the cooking process and gives you a richer flavor.

Sometimes I'll pull a steak straight out of the freezer and skip that step, but if I have time, I'll always try to pre-sear. It definitely improves the final product.

And yes, always pat dry before searing (with or without the sous vide - makes a pretty big difference, IMO)
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote