Thread: Other Games Roll 20 online tabletop
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
When I want to DnD, I do this:

Just saying.

Sure I had fun playing when I was a kid. I also had fun shooting my .22 when I was a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I know a few people that do it, but I just don't see the allure. I think I'd get bored with it after about an hour.

Of course, my best friend, who was generally the DM of our group, has no interest whatsoever in computer games like this, but would probably still play D&D. I've tried for years go convince him, but he's just not having it.

To each his own, I guess.

I do still have the original six books, though. And probably some dice in a box in the basement somewhere.

Backwards for me. When I play a video game RPG (even a more traditional one like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity or whatever), it makes me want to play D&D.

It's just a completely different experience when you can choose to do whatever the hell you want and also interact with other people who have their own ambitions and agendas. Video games are great and there's something to be said about just having "alone time" while you're stuck in the game immersed by yourself, but it's just a different kind of enjoyment. The story, gameplay, interactions -- everything is "on rails" in a video game whereas D&D is more of a collaborative storytelling experience. Yes there is an element of "on rails" when you're using a campaign book but if you've ever DM'd you'd know that it's very loose and open to the DM and the players rather than full-script and you can go off the rails indefinitely (not to mention the DM can write the story/universe/etc themselves). You can invest hundreds of hours on a character and when they die, there is no reload save game. The story just goes on and players have to deal with the consequences.
Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.