Thread: Movies and TV Star Trek Picard
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #256
oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Yeah, LOL, you're nuts. I watched AC. I enjoyed the series well enough to be interested in season two. But it's second rate compared to what we've seen of Picard already. In fact the weaker episodes of AC are crap by comparison.
Come on, now. Don't have to be nuts to have a different opinion. No need to be a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
If you haven't read Altered Carbon yet, you sincerely should. The show is good to very good in spots, but the book is fantastic.
Yeah. The books are amazing. But it's not mainstream stuff, by any means. And neither is the TV series, although they do a bunch of things that effectively dumb it down for a larger audience. Even so, it's definitely harder than Star Trek, speaking scientifically, culturally, and so on (by 'harder' I mean hard science fiction rather than space opera). So it won't be for everyone. But it's definitely for me, and I can't wait for season two next week.

To me, Picard has nostalgia going for it. And that's about it. Taken on its own, without the easter eggs and connection to decades of previous story, it would not be very compelling television. The new characters are all cutout stereotypes and what plot there is has gone essentially nowhere over the course of five hours. The only reason to watch so far is to see Patrick Stewart one last time and to watch for callbacks to stuff I sort of remember from twenty years ago. And that's enough, so far, to keep me watching it. But I'm not going to try to convince myself or anyone else that it's got any more substance to it than that.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.