Thread: DT Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 09:48 PM   #101
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
He's a bit of an outlier from the ordinary NT in that he's probably the best NT prospect in the draft. And so sometimes that gets those guys to go where they're projected (the 'best of breed' phenomenon I noted earlier; teams will go sooner on a guy they see as the best of the entire lot at that position, even if he's only 5% better and they may not take that next best guy until the 3rd round).

But it seems like every single season, NTs drop. And they drop a LOT. I mean look at Coburn - Folks had him as early as a mid 3rd and about as late as I ever recalled seeing saw mid 5th. He went late 6. And it seems to happen every season with NTs.

Once they start to slide, they sliiiiiiiiiide. And it's because of a lack of scheme versatility.

Oh sure, Sweat makes a lot of sense to Arizona. But what if the board falls in such a way that he's the 2nd guy on their board - that's not unlikely, is it? And if he slips there, there aren't 8 teams behind Arizona that utilize NTs. So he may just keep sliding.

Those guys that lack scheme versatility tend to slide. And I think it's fair to say that Sweat, as a guy who almost certainly ends up as a 2-down 0-technique is a guy who lacks scheme versatility.

I just don't think it's impossible.
I don't think he's any less of a player in a 4-3 as a 1T. He's scheme versatile IMO. I'm also not overly sold that he's purely a 2-down player. He's not a 3rd-and-long player but he can certainly push the pocket and force doubles even on 3rd-and-medium. He's a lot more athletic than he's being penciled in as IMO. What I'm trying to say is he looks more Vita Vea than he's not to me, which means more of a 60% player.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote