View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #99
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
But they don't. They were wearing blinders, and then something ripped them off for them.

Most of those people say that to me during a defensive handgun class. Something like "I live in a nice quiet neighborhood, I never even thought about carrying a gun until the other day/last month/whatever when this terrible thing happened right down the street/at my local grocery store/Wal-Mart/in the parking structure at work/etc."

And I almost have to laugh because I used to say the same things. Currently I live in the safest town in the Phoenix area (probably), but I've lived in some ghetto places in STL, KS, Chicago, etc. And nearly everything in between.
And I've seen what high unemployment/social unrest will do to crime rates firsthand. I was living in a pretty safe area in north Glendale AZ back in 2009 and watched my area become more and more dangerous as unemployment rates worsened. But it wasn't until a woman was stabbed in broad day light at the grocery store I had just left not an hour earlier, that I realized that the idea "I'm immune to crime because I live in a good area" was an illusion.

Of course, now things are much different than they were in 2009. Violent crime has spiked over 44% since the advent of the virus nationwide. Classes are booked until after the New Year. Just a year ago I was practically begging people to try a class just to fill enough slots to make it worth renting the range, now they're upset because they're on a waiting list until Mar. 2021.
I can't spend my life worrying over every unlikely event. Life is too short for that. I find it odd that you are more worried about gun violence than COVID, since you are far more likely to get COVID - especially since you take no precautions.

For me it is just the opposite. I'm high risk so you bet your ass I wear a mask when in public. But I've made it 58 years without being a victim of gun violence, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Oh, one more thing, concealed firearms are against the law here, except in very rare cases.
splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.splatbass threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote