View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #1604
Cast Iron Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Thighs are so hard to dry out. My biggest concern has generally been burning the outsides.

I usually use a 2-stage fire and cook them over indirect until the outside starts to brown up (20-30 minutes? Honestly, I really don't recall). Then I remove my grate, spread my coals and give them a 5-10 minute shot with direct heat (the coals are dying at that point so it's not real hot anymore) to crisp up the skin a bit. Finally I put sauce on and give them about 1-2 minutes/side until; just long enough for the sauce to start to char, then I turn them and sauce the other side. I usually do two coats/side.

Chicken thighs are so very forgiving that I've been eyeballing them for years. Sorry for not giving you better time/temp figures.

I honestly don't even bother brining dark meat. I sprinkle some seasoning I really like called Willingham's Wham on there (cajunish with much less salt than most cajun rubs) and it forms a nice little texture for sauce to adhere to. You could probably skip the sauce outright, truth be told.
Truer words have never been spoken. If you dried out thighs, you burned them bad.

You want them about 175F if you use a thermometer.

I also don't marinate. Thighs don't need it.
Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.