Thread: Food and Drink Let's talk flat top griddles
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 08:12 AM   #29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
If you are only cooking for one, take your cast iron skillet and put it on your gas grill to get the grease splatters out of your kitchen. Works for bacon also.

Infrared thermometer is recommended for checking temperatures. They are useful anyway.

If you're cooking for two, the $70 griddle that goes over the gas grill works pretty well for a cheap way to go.

I used to only cook meat over gas or charcoal but now I sous vide a lot of meat and finish it on the cast iron.
Yeah, I didn't replace my gas grill when it ate shit thinking my rec-tec could do it. It doesn't do that well at grilling, I always missed the char from a high heat. That's where the Blackstone comes in. It's really easy to use and clean up, and does a good job of getting me a hot surface.

A griddle over a gas grill would be a good and admittedly much cheaper option, but even when I cook for myself, I almost always do an onion and peppers anyway, and most of the time some sort of vegetable, broccoli or sweet potatoes and corn or something. (Potatoes are better, but I'm trying to eat better) So I'm typically using more than a pan could use. It really does a pretty good job of improving efficiency. Start the thing and go prep your food, and it's there when you're ready.

Coincidentally, I went the other way on Sous Vide. If I'm just doing chicken or whatever, it goes into a pan or blackstone, but if I'm doing steaks (or some non-smash burgers without the sous vide), I bought this little tiny cheap ass charcoal grill and I chimney up some hot ass coals, and do one steak at a time, and get the sear I want. Is it reeruned and inefficient as all hell? Yes. Do I do it? Yes. I needed some good charcoal sear on beef in my life, so I went and got it.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.