View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #1798
Please squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic View Post
I feel like Embiid is a match-up nightmare, and Simmons should be as well. I haven't watched NBA full time since the late 90s or early 00s, so I can't really speak to change in offenses, other than volume 3-point shooting.

But, back in the day, coaches would have been clearing out one side of the court for Embiid or Simmons to post up or go one on one with whoever was guarding them. Or running tons of pick and roll. I am not an offensive guru, but when you have a nearly unstoppable player like Embiid, why not run every half court possession through him? Or a 6'10" point guard (who can't shoot) who almost guarantees a mismatch at one position on the court at all times.

Hell, I remember players like MJ, or Mark Aguirre, both 6'6", posting up a ton because they could score on anyone guarding them, or find the open shooter if a double came. The Sixers have a couple of very good 3 point shooters, so why not force feed Embiid and make Atlanta choose between the post or the perimeter?

When Embiid had the ball below the free throw line, it was almost an automatic 2 points. Rivers reminded me of Bill Self when we lost to TCU during Ben McLemore's only season. Self insisted on running his offense, but if he had put the ball in Ben's hand every time, we would have won, because TCU didn't have a single person who could stop him.

Same thing with Rivers. There is no one on Atlanta who could guard Embiid, and after he scored on 8 of his 10 isos, Atlanta would have to decide between a double team, or guarding Curry or Korkmaz, etc.

But, I am just an old school guy, I guess.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
The issue is Simmons inability\unwillingness to shoot the basketball. Because of that sole reason they have to put him down in the post\box area otherwise no one will guard him on the perimeter which forces Embiid outside alot of the time.
dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.dirk digler is obviously part of the inner Circle.