Thread: Movies and TV CBS: Star Trek
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #536
Veteran

QUOTE=Discuss Thrower;14086818]The (lack of) logic in the Feddies agreeing to abandon cloaking technology is because the writers lazily leaned on the subject as an analogy to real world nuclear armament.[/QUOTE]

Kirk stole the cloaking device on TOS. The writers either had to use something like the treaty or explain to the audience each week why they didn't just use the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Well, I'm of the mind that much like a gun, it's better to have the technology before you need it, than to need to technology and not have it. The Romulans were complete snakes anyway.

As for the Borg, hell yes, kill them. Kill them all. Picard himself never had any problem killing Borg, even those who were assimilated crew members. Had I been Picard's superior, I would have removed him from command after failing to implement that plan. Jeri Ryan's smoking cat suit notwithstanding.

If I'm looking for a series lead to fight and win, I'm taking Sisko over any of the rest of them, even Kirk. Sisko might have regretted playing dirty, but he did it when he had to.

Peace exists because both sides are equally matched. If the Federation found out that the Romulans were working on some sort of all-powerful Doomsday weapon, what would they have to do to survive? Declare war before the weapon could be perfected. The Romulans would have to do the same thing if the Federation upset the balance of power with the phased cloak.

Plan A: Invent, perfect, and implement a new super weapon without your devious and powerful enemies from finding out what you're up to.

If that fails...

Plan B: Hope that you can survive an all out war with one of the most powerful empires in the galaxy.

The Borg

I think it's a tough decision. The moral quandary is what makes the episode interesting. Should you use an A bomb to defeat Japan? Should you keep using them until the country is glass? Should you use biological weapons? Is genocide justified? Where is the line between "I'm willing to sacrifice this many of my own people to maintain my humanity" and " It's us or them. Kill 'em all. God will know his own. "

Klingons choose to be assholes. Should the Federation have found some way to exterminate them in Kirk's time? Would that have been the right call in the long run?

The Borg are less of a race and more of a huge group of people with an infectious disease,from my pov. There may come a point where you have no choice but to destroy them, but I also think, morally, you have to at least try to cure them.

The keyboard on a Kindle Fire sucks dick. Sorry for the spelling errors and typos.
Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.