Thread: Movies and TV Netflix: Ozark
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #127
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
I just finished it last night, hell of a good show IMO. Acting is top notch writing is better. Really good stuff.

The stuff with Buddy really hit home. Along with Buddy, all the relationships were allowed to grow with the show, holistically. There weren't any relationships other than the real estate agent that weren't built upon from the first season. That is a sign of excellent writing. So many times, the relationships exist because of necessity not story telling and virtually every one built with the story than being of necessity. That's hard to find.

I don't know what criticisms are out there, but there are a few to be had.

1. Same with the first season - the numbers never work. So much so that it's a distraction. It's fine. I'm sure the chemistry doesn't work in BB, and probably the money either. But I'm not a particularly good numbers guy, but that stuff isn't working.

2. The timeline of things - especially in a small town - is far too accelerated. I get it, but none of that shit is happening in those timeframes. Again, it's fine. That's why TV is so much more compelling than real life, but in reality, if we are waiting 6 weeks for a contractor and everyone is dead, the story isn't very good. But the point stands. As a guy that's had to get some of this stuff done, yeah, not happening.

3. This is probably just the mood I've been in the past couple days, but this show might have some tone problems. Man, every character's life in this show SUCKS. After Buddy died, everything was just ****ing melancholy. It got to where I'd not want to watch an episode. They kind of played out the "we have to get this done now" feeling and (naturally things came together) it was just an exercise in misery. Again, I had a shit mood when I watched a few of those episodes, but they could have taken a couple of the characters in different directions and helped interject some not-slavery level life suckage. Part of it is Bateman's character - some of it could have been when he was going to get out could have lightened up some. Maybe if some of the ancillary characters would have lightened up, it would have ****ed up the story and made the ending events not hit as hard. I don't know. It was all just really heavy and I think it lost some of the desperation in a few episodes.

All that being said, I stand by my points above that it is a great goddamned show and I appreciate the opportunity to participate, but it's not perfect.
#3 for me for sure. That much stress would cause anyone/everyone to fold. Your kids could be kidnapped/killed at any moment, but everyone seems fine letting them go about their days.

That being said, I've been a Bateman fan since I was a child and that isn't likely to stop. He's not carrying this piece, but he does a nice job.

Ruth and Jacob and wonderful characters that have grown throughout. Brilliantly done.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.