Thread: Movies and TV MCU Meta Discussion
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #89
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Ant-Man & the Wasp absolutely was a lead-in movie. You don't have Endgame without that flick. And like I said, Cap & Black Panther lapped that film.

You're not entirely wrong in your points though, but you think those points are some kind of excuses, rather than doing what Marvel was made to do: give audiences what they want. Marvel made something in those two movies that you're portending doom about that audiences wanted to see. Audiences wanted to see a female lead wreck shit. There was a huge desire to see a nonwhite lead as well after a decade of Hero's Best Friend.

But you're completely discounting the fact that those movies, especially Black Panther, were actually super good. I can hear arguments about Captain Marvel, but Thor 2 it was not.

Is the movie going to be appealing to audiences? Will it deliver something they'll want?
Is the movie good?

Both movies answered the bell, and I suspect will continue to do so. And let's face it, the white dudes that are predicting that all this diversity will collapse the MCU inward are wrong. Diversity won't collapse it, crappy movies, if and when they come, will.
Ant-Man and the Wasp was not a true lead in movie...but it's post credit scene was. The post credit scene completely sets up Endgame. Nothing else about the movie sets up anything at all.

Diversity will not crash the MCU, but too much politics and political correctness will. Captain Marvel and Black Panther both kept pc to a relative minimum and were released at optimum spots on the calendar with no competition. Ant-Man and the Wasp was released in July with much heavier competition after a lot of folks had spent their movie budget on earlier blockbusters.

Black Panther was excellent. Captain Marvel was okay---I put it about middle of the pack, maybe slightly lower. My daughter loved Captain Marvel though, showing that different demographics can view movie quality differently...and as long as Marvel can continue to speak with different demographics in the individual character movies and remain profitable, all will be good. The key is to make sure the tentpole movies...The Avengers, etc., appeal to all of the demographics, especially the nerd fans. The nerd fans are the ones who went and saw Endgames 7-8 times in theatres and pushed it over the top.

Moviegoers have shown time and time again that they don't particularly care for politics in their popcorn movies. People expect politics when the go see All the Presidents Men, they don't expect to see politics when they go see the Avengers.

Feige and Marvel have earned enough trust that they can go off the beaten path for sure. I also believe that Feige and Marvel are smart enough to course correct should they wade too deep into the pool of politics.

Marvel made Guardians of the Galaxy work. If they can do that, they can do it with pretty much any Marvel property. They just have do it in the right way.
mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.