Thread: Chiefs Derrick Johnson
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I'd love for him to stick around a few more years, but only on a very modest contract. We have had way too much money going to aging vets lately.
Kinda gotta go year to year at maybe $4 million/yr for him. Anything more than that and you're actually paying a hometown premium for him, IMO.

His value to this team and this system is far greater than it would be elsewhere. He can't play in a 4-3 and if you put him in a 3-4 with different calls/adjustments that intelligence and intuitiveness is gone.

So if you put him out in the market generally, I don't think a 35 yr old linebacker is going to get a hell of a lot of attention apart from some teams like the Jets that are looking to bring someone in as a mentor to get them to the cap floor and teach the young kids.

That's not how he wants to go out so unless he wants to play out the string, he's looking at a relatively modest free market value. I don't think he'll come back at $2 million or anything but if you gave him a 2 year deal for $8 million w/ a $1 million signing bonus and a 3 million salary in year 1, you essentially have a 'team option' for year 2. If he's still playing at a high level in '18 you consider it. If not, you walk.

In either event, nothing like that insane bit of idiot contract that Dorsey gave him and Hali with large guaranteed bases in year 2.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.