View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 01:29 PM   #935
Veteran

I don't think I've been in this thread - but now I have a story to tell.

I've been trying to walk more and had some 4 mile loops from my house kinda established. A bit over a week ago I was on the last mile of a loop and on a street I dont frequent when I ran into three loose dogs, 2 pitt type and a German Shepherd. I was already tired because I had dressed to way too warm. Spring is tricky. Anyway, the dogs were loose and across an empty lot about 40 yards distant. I was maintaining a steady pace on the sidewalk. Suddenly, I felt an inquiring nip on my fingertips and a light nudge on my thigh. And then I had the two pitts jumping around me, nipping at my hands, and shouldering me. The shepherd circled and joined the barking. I crossed my arms like I was going to jump on an airline emergency slide, and just kept a steady pace, and yelling NO - to no effect. When I'd walked a lot or two past the empty lot where I picked them up, they went back - I was probably skirting their perceived territory.

I was unharmed, but I was concerned that things might escalate. My watch showed that my heart rate had spiked a little right then.

I'm of sturdy build (hence the increased walking) so their shoulder nudges didn't have much impact. But if I was a skinny person, they might have. I don't know what they would have done if I had shown signs of panic or tried to hit them. I think if they knocked someone off their feet, it would get ugly fast. I feel like these dogs were starting playfully, but prodding, poking, looking for a reaction. I'm a dog owner - that may have helped in interacting with them.

That's my short story for the day.
Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.Zebedee DuBois would the whole thing.