Thread: Computers External Video Card Help
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 03:07 PM   #7
Let's get a snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
Uh thanks?

More conflicting messages about whether the external power supply interferes with the motherboard but I guess I'll go with the people that say they have done it.

I had not considered transferring the guts of computer into a larger frame.

I have space behind the monitor, so it's not a deal breaker. But I do see it as awkward to have the external video card just floating around and I had looked into frames to hold it.

I'm not keen to disassemble my functioning computer. I mean, I'm not completely clueless, but don't break it if it is working... But I will think that one over.

Thanks.
While probably not advised, it is possible to do. However, it's not as simple as just plugging the new PSU into the video card.

Found on forum:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1063...%20motherboard.

The PSU's need to come on at the same time. Two options below.

1. Bridge the new PSU and switch it on at the same time you push your PC power button.
2. Make new connector/Rig wiring to both PSUs to receive POWER_OK signal from motherboard.

I read somewhere that there would be risk if power problems occurred and the second PSU didn't receive signal from MB to shut down. I don't know if the second option resolves this risk or if the signals are occurring through the 24pin connector.
mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.